Peach budding and grafting

So I think at this point, I’ll probably sprout a few peach and apricot pits for fun and possible grafting, but buy one peach tree from a nursery as well (also probably an apple).

So for budding peaches, does T-Budding work, or is Chip Budding better? Can anyone share experiences?

Is grafting of dormant peach (or apricot) scions in early spring as you would an apple or pear really that much harder for peaches compared to summer budding? Folks on GW make it sound damn near impossible.

I’ve only had success grafting peaches when it has been warm. Chip budding worked for me a little, cleft grafts were my most successful on peaches.

1 Like

I’ve been browsing threads here all evening.

It seems that they have to be warm, but not TOO warm (or at least, shade them with foil from the hot sun if it’s 80F+), so, do you keep scions in the fridge to keep them dormant well beyond the stock trees waking up?

Yes keeping them dormant for grafting is critical. In my experience that means as close to freezing as possible without actually forming ice.

1 Like

Maybe it’s dumb luck or it’s the TN climate but I have no problem grafting peaches when the rootstock is doormat.

I have had my best luck at bloom time, and it’s very cold at that time. I get the most takes, but only been doing it three years.

1 Like