Polls: Favorite Fruits Polls (VOTE!)

Haha. As I mentioned in the original post I’m not sure how to create an good apple list. The software I was using only allows so a certain number of items for each poll. If you’d like to narrow an apple list down to around 40 or so varieties I’ll add it. But I can guarantee there would be more people selecting “Other” than there would the varieties listed. A lot of peoples favorite apple is some obscure english variety or some club apple. An apple list if very difficult.

[quote=“joehewitt, post:8, topic:5462, full:true”]
A man who has excluded Cherimoya from the Favorite Fruits list is clearly a man who has never tasted a Cherimoya.
[/quote]Huh? Never heard of it.

1 Like

RATS! I went through the hassle convert the polls and they looked find in the preview pane but when I went to finalize them it said I was limited to 20 poll answers.

1 Like

Sorry about that! It is a configurable option though, and I just set it to 100. Hopefully you saved the file.

1 Like

Scott that seemed to work fine. Hopefully people that filled out the prior polls deside to fill the new polls out again. This method is certainly quicker. Took me all of 45 seconds to fill out all the polls again.

Thanks for letting me know about this feature.

Cherimoya, google it! Every person I’ve given their first taste of Cherimoya has agreed with me that it’s one of the best fruits they’ve ever had. The season for California-grown Cherimoya is just winding down.

precisely. And there are plenty more in the league of cherimoya that have been excluded.

in fairness, this forum is far from being cosmopolitan, since most of us here are in america, and growing what each is able/permitted in one’s local conditions(in continental usa). So what many of us think as ‘the best’ is, of course, limited to the ‘best’ which could be grown in one’s region of north america.

3 Likes

So many questions, and only one that I’m even remotely able to answer.

And maybe not even that one, since I’ve never had a cherimoya. :wink:

“We had an abundance of mangoes, papaias and bananas here, but the pride of the islands, the most delicious fruit known to men, cherimoya, was not in season. It has a soft pulp, like a pawpaw, and is eaten with a spoon.” (Mark Twain, The Sacramento Daily Union, October 25, 1866, Kilauea, June, 1866

As for me, I didn’t like the one I tried… though I am a big fan of Twain.

3 Likes

Great idea Speedster. Thanks for putting this together.

twain already knew pawpaw belongs to the cherimoya family :slightly_smiling:

I’ve heard of custard apple but had never heard the proper name. The flesh looks like paw paw but the seeds are smaller and the fruit is round rather than kidney shaped. Even the discription of flavor sounds like paw paw. Pinapple, banana, etc.

Does Cherimoya taste like Sugar Apple (also confusingly called Custard Apple)? I see different Wiki pages.

cherimoya is more zesty, with a delightful sweet-sour flavor, while sugar apple is very sweet(aptly named) and has a complex flavor all its own. Both are absolutely delicious!

the supposed hybrid-- atemoya, is another gem, and i really can’t say which, among the three, would be a favorite.

It is like being asked which song would be one’s favorite. There’s often quite a number that anybody can’t just mention one.

pawpaws are good, but its three tropical cousins, when picked at their prime, have few peers.

@Vohd, thanks for petitioning to include my ‘surname’ :grinning: in the polls, but have to concede, a cherimoya at its prime is still ahead by a country mile vs any in the list, persian mulbs included.

it is a bit unfair, almost similar to some schoolyard bullying, like shaq inviting himself to a middle school scrimmage and summarily blocking everybody’s attempts to shoot, and dunking on the kids everytime

also, there aren’t many people in usa who’ve ever tried prime cherimoyas. Even persian mulbs are practically unheard of.

While I believe the flavor of a custard apple must be fantastic hence all of the worshipers I’m sure it would not be my favorite. I would not care that much for the texture. My favorite things in life are crisp and juicy rather than sweet and custardy

Overconsumption of Cherimoya and Soursop (especially the juice) are the leading cause of Atypical Parkinson’s Disease.

Those of you that have selected other care to mention what variety you prefer

1 Like

So what if they choose other? It is a favorite fruits poll after all, not a favorite variety poll…right?

? It’s both. Question 1 asks what your favorite fruit is. The remaining questions ask about favorite varieties. I asked about the “other” response just to determine which good varieties I left off.

yeah…you’re right. Compiling a decent list for apple would be pretty tough. I think in the beginning, apple wasn’t even a category…was it?