Propagating Carmine Jewel Cherries

There is a sea of suckers coming up around my Romeos planted in spring of 2015. You might not need to worry about trying to root any of those. My Carmine Jewels have also sent up a few suckers. Now to start getting some cherries. So far have had just a couple to see what they taste like.

3 Likes

I gave up on my cj cuttings. I had about 1 dozen that were very callused but just weren’t rooting. On a side note, how much do your cj suckers grow in a season? Here are some pics of mine that just came up this year. They just keep growing and growing… if i transplant them when dormant this fall. How much should they be cut back?

60lb dog for reference… :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I can’t say for sure, but I would guess it depends on how much root you get with them when you dig them out. A good part of their growth is due to the mother plant’s root system and even when they come bare root from nurseries they seem to have pretty good root systems intact.

I have one Juliet sucker and a couple CJ suckers and expect I’ll need to cut off at least half the tops when I dig them this Fall since I don’t expect to get tons of roots on them. I think it is better to get them growing well than have them struggle with too little root with too much top.

Mine have surprised me with their growth as well, although they are smaller than yours, probably because my dog is only 45 pounds.

2 Likes

Juliet cherries growing from root cuttings taken this spring, about half of them died in the process, but a few survived…

4 Likes

Some Juliet cuttings in with a bunch of Russian Sage cuttings. These were taken about 2 weeks ago. Checked last night, juliet is callusing, several of the sage have roots already! These were all dipped in Woods hormone diluted 40:1 with distilled water. I also stuck a whole tray of CJ cuttings at the same time, some from mature bushes and some from suckers, using 3 different levels of hormone, 20:1, 30:1 and 40:1 to see if that makes a difference…

5 Likes

I want to grow from seed too, but I would like to make an intentional cross between CJ and Juliet. I have to wait till my Juliet is large enough to flower. I would rather try and get something different, and not just a rearrangement of genes both have already as CJ and Juliet work well as is. Funny today I’m processing CJ cherries for jam. I’m mixing with red currants a few raspberries, and maybe some Thai basil. My jams are always just experiments in fruit blending. See what works, what does not.

3 Likes

Juliet x CP or Romeo x CP might be interesting also, Havent had any luck with CP fruiting in this area so far…

1 Like

For sure, it would be! I only have the two.

1 Like

Finally got some cj cuttings to root. Best luck with 1 to 40 diluted woods hormone and ONLY cuttings from suckers rooted. All callused but not a single cutting from my main plants has rooted yet… interesting. Still low percentage but at least some success!

5 Likes

More cuttings rooted. Planted outside for winter. Not sure how they will do with new roots. In an area that should get decent snow cover.

7 Likes

Been a while but here are some hardwood cuttings I have had in my heated but cold garage over bottom heat for the last month or so. They are callused so I decided to bring some inside. Both Carmine Jewel and Juliet…
Cuttings over low heat in my 37deg garage…

Callused Juliet cuttings, pic taken at about 3 weeks over heat…

Juliet on right, CJ on left

In cups with coir, placed in my ‘light room’ which is usually about 80F.

Baggies help keep humidity up, not expecting much as Ive never had luck with hardwood cuttings of these varieties but I did get some root cuttings to grow last spring, so maybe it will happen…

6 Likes

Did you treat the dormant hardwood cuttings with rooting hormone at any point? Are you trying that? I wonder since it looks like it gave you success with the cuttings in the summer.

1 Like

I did dip them in rooting hormone, woods brand diluted 20:1.

2 Likes

Looks to me like you are the king of cherry propagation, congratulations

Not sure if it will work. Free time during the cold months…

5 Likes

Took some softwood cuttings of CJ yesterday from a sucker growing near my main bushes. Have them in fairly dry coir with bottom heat at 76f. Closet they are in ambient is 72f. LED light 2 hours on and 1.5 off, 24 hours a day measures 12k lux at the top of dome. Going to mist with light fertilizer in distilled water, using Mega Crop at 1.5g / gallon.

The CJ are in back, indigo gem haskap in front.

3 Likes

CJ grafted to Montmorency tree…

5 Likes

Pulled all my cuttings that were taken a couple weeks ago. Been misting these with 40ppm nitrogen fertilizer solution while they have been callusing. They were on bottom heat for over a week but then were replaced by something else, only have one heat mat. I threw all that werent growing or showed any significant problems.

I soaked the coir with a diluted fertilizer solution and squeezed it out by hand and restuck the healthy cuttings, misted again with dilute fertilizer solution and put them back under the lights.

Opened the vents a bit more than they have been, hopefully the increased transpiration will help encourage root development. Also there is what appears to be powdery mildew on the stems of some cuttings. Ive also noticed this on some of my seedings in my yard that arent in a well ventilated area.

2 Likes

Pulled some first year suckers out today. They looked good enough to try to root.

Cut tops off and removed large leaves. Suck in a deep pot with 50/50 organic soil mix and coir. Dampened slightly and wrapped with bag. Put them under lights.

2 Likes

Transplanted my cj seedlings. These r 2nd leaf, small ones went to coir and larger are in 1gal bags with coarse mix.

About 37 of them.

4 Likes