Protecting your fruit from squirrel's and other critters

@scottfsmith the squirrel whisperer

4 Likes

Ari, I haven’t found any preassembled ones that cheap. :confused:
The charging units are about $50-$80; the wire fences are much more.

1 Like

darn, i was hoping to find something I can put on the main trunk of the tree and just electrify going around that so when squirrels go up, they get a jolt.
Putting a 9V battery on my tongue gives me a good jolt, so was hoping something small but effective like that :wink:

3 Likes

Not everyone can and I don’t know what everyone’s thinks about it by my preferred choice is to rid my place of them all for good. I shoot them. Have for years and all my Dove, Quail and Turkey population is healthy now. It’s a never ending battle though…they just keep coming… I have a thermal scope and get them day or night…I’ll actually be even more vigilant now with fruit. Still going to do electric fence for bear and deer regardless…

1 Like

You are so lucky wish you could send me dead dressed quail!

1 Like

Fruitnut come for dinner next week!

2 Likes

Sorry have a prior commitment. But I’ll send a frozen coon if I can catch one. They’re supposed to be tasty…!!

3 Likes

My neighbor is a trapper by trade. I’m from Ohio but apparently raccoon is the holiday meals of choice for all the black folks here. My friend says its pretty good but no.one here will take a raccoon to eat ubtil after October. Apparently they have Weevils…little tid bit. He has to leave a foot on them. I guess fully cut without feet yoi cam pass a cat off for one…:flushed::confused:

2 Likes

Oh my…Quail is sooooooooo good. If they dont scare the crap out of me first i get some in season every year. Delicous… Dove is quite good too…

2 Likes

This year has been an excellent test of my Kania and WCS traps. I’ve also been journaling my results (and using Scott’s advice) to see what does and doesn’t work. My WCS tube trap and kania sit on opposite sides of my garden fence. The Kania has gotten one chipmunk and the WCS tube trap has netted a couple dozen squirrels. I bait both according to what Scott discussed earlier in this thread. When I bait the WCS I slather some peanut butter on both sides of the internal plate and then add a dab just inside the entry way on both sides. For the kania I slather peanut butter in and around the bait compartment, but some on the back side of the trap and lube up the bottom entry as well. I’m not sure why the WCS traps have been 100X more effective. The only thing I can think of is the open ends allow the peanut butter scent to travel further?

4 Likes

I’m finding it interesting that ever since the squirrel got itself caught in the net on my cherry tree, there to be wacked with the hoe handle, it hasn’t been back. Thus hasn’t pulled apart the net again, letting in the birds. The cherries are now all mine!

I’ve always thought that squirrels learn things but don’t always pass down the information to others, and this would confirm it.

6 Likes

:cherries::cherries::cherries::cherries::cherries::cherries::cherries:sounds great!

1 Like

I closed off the one end of my WCS tub trap with chicken wire…then a take a piece of apple core, roll it in peanut butter and dust it with bird seed…i toss it throught the open end of the trap and set it…I got tired of slathering the peanut butter all over and this seems to work fine…

2 Likes

how did you secure the chicken wire? great idea!

1 Like

can’t take credit for the idea, I think someone on the site may have suggested it. Either way, all I did was cut the chicken wire to the shape of the end of the tube and used some regular electrical wired I had laying around to fasten it. You could also use zip ties.

here’s what I’m talking about…

3 Likes

Apple core rolled in PB AND dusted w bird seeds ?? No squirrel can resist that! :smiley:

6 Likes

I found a robin trapped under my honeyberry netting, like a fly inside the house near the window, not tangled up.

After I set him free, I thought, hmm, maybe the negative association will teach him to leave them alone.

Now it just occurred to me that robins are the ones that fly into a glass window, knock themselves out, and repeat every 3 minutes indefinitely.

Getting stuck in a net the day before definitely won’t register.

7 Likes

I added a 2nd wheel on the other side of the house. This time, I used a few more inches of water and got a squirrel on the first night, So far, the tally is 5 chipmunks, 1 squirrel, and a mouse.

4 Likes

What is the benefit of doing this? Doesn’t it just eliminate one entry point to the trap?

1 Like

I guess the main idea is its easier to bait this way. I’m OK just putting the PB on the plate, after doing it hundreds of times I have a good technique for it. All my baiting I do with a chop stick I keep in a holster on my PB jar.

1 Like