Rain and fruit rot

We have probably the wettest August in 10 years. The timing of rain could not be worst for my poor Easternglo nectarines. This is the first year that it has given me a substantial number of fruit.

We have had several down pours in the past 6 weeks including this week. It has rained since Sat and as I was typing this. My lawn is soggy. Grass has never been greener in any August that I could recall.

My Easternglo is ripening during this rain period. I picked about 50 of them. There may be 5 of them that looked good enough that I could give them away. The rest have all kinds of rot, cracks, crack and rot. This was after 3 spray of Indar. Granted the last Indar was at the end of June. Because of so much water, fruit have good size but bland. Average brix is 11. The sweet (if you can call that) was 13. @alan this is a wasted year for nects for me.

After this period of rain, I probably will need to spray Indar for my remaining Autumn Star and PF 24 C peaches.

This is just to show how challenging growing fruit can be. It is not to minimize the far more difficult situations a drought in KS and wild fires in CA that other members are facing.

1 Like

Same problem here. Most of my peaches have cracks and skin pealing problems as seen in your photo. Others had what looked like Anthracnose and some had rotting around the pits. The only good news was that the spraying kept away the brown rot.
Rain on and off all month; 4 inches the last 3 days and after some sun today it’s raining again now.

1 Like

We have been suffering from the same monsoon conditions. I sprayed my nects every 2 weeks starting July 7th. Eastern Glo is finished and was the blandest of any of my varieties, but it is also in the worst spot. However, as long as I pick them at first sign of softening most are sound and beautiful fruit. More in the 13 range. so good enough to be much better than store bought. Occasionally 14+. You just have to expect to spray nects more than peaches when it’s wet. I stop 2 weeks before harvest starts and that works fine because they don’t need shelf life.

1 Like

I looked carefully at all my picked nects. I think I’ve brown rot mixed in with what both of you described.

I wonder how fruit in the yards of other around here like @SMC_zone6, @mrsg47, @BobVance have fared in this monsoon.

My Reliance peaches doubled in size in last few rainy days, but still far from ripening. I bet they will be bland this year too. Melons that I didn’t pick before rain turned bland too…

Cracked, bland, and diseased. Plus I have a broken branch on a large peach because of how big and wet the fruit has gotten. I’m actually more bothered by what this is doing to my tomatoes because of how I store those for winter use.

We didn’t get the monsoon, but the humidity has been horrible . We only had rain all day yesterday and it was over this am. Everything here is fried. My Enterprise Apple is losing leaves like crazy, as is my Pristine. My Elbertas, Early Crawford’s and one Shui Mi Tao are finally sizing up after yesterday’s rain. No brown rot here to speak of. Black Knot has returned to my plums . I have never seen that before. If I would have had plums this year they would all be brown! Tippy, I bet you still have tons of good fruit . yes? I have berries and apples.

Galina, sorry to forget to include you. We are equally soaked. Part of my watermelon patch was flooded this evening.

@mrsg47, even my daughter noticed how green is everyone’s lawn is.

@SMC_zone6, our tomato plants were potted up too late this year. They have not grown and likely won’t produce in time. Chalk up as another miss.

Since almost every nects we picked had bruises, rot, cracks. No fruit to give away. I talked my husband into making nectarine crisp. It is in the oven as we speak. I am going to bed and will likely have some for breakfast :smile:

2 Likes

Nisa will have come in late August to pick Raspberries!

My Carmen peaches were ripening just as the rains hit. After a couple days of rain, I was able to pick some during a dry stretch on Sunday. There were a lot knocked down and between bird pecks and cracks there was some brown rot. Not as much as I would expect though, so Carmen seems pretty solid. Not super flavor, but not bad. I think I would have gotten better flavor if I had thinned harder. They were better last summer when the whole tree only had 6 fruit :slight_smile:

These were the 2nds- damaged ones, or ones which had been knocked onto the ground.

After skinning and pitting, there was about 7 pounds of 2nds to make jam with:

The jam is probably a bit darker than it should be because I prepped the fruit on Sunday night, then made the jam Monday night (I needed to buy some sugar…), after the fruit spent the night in the fridge.

2 Likes

The rains never came here, dry as a bone. Funny how weather can vary so much. A few hundred miles and it is all different. I harvested Arctic Glo yesterday and today and it’s excellent, fruit is a little small from the drought. Brix about 15 on most. Some hit 18. Hard to say average I’m testing fruit that ripened early from damage. I like to eat those first. I know others have had problems with this one, but it has been a consistent producer of excellent fruit for me.
I made smoothies with some of the damaged ones, I like to use 2 cups fruit, 1 cup coconut milk, one cup Greek Yogurt, and some ice. Excellent, Glo is so flavorful, the acid really makes it.
Greek yogurt is excellent with acid fruit, really balances the taste.

1 Like

Your Carmen looked good. I had Good Dust rioened but GD in the rain was also very bland.

@Drew51, your smoothie sounded good until the coconut milk. I use coconut milk in curry. I cannot use it in drink. Just can’t!!!

Not real pure coconut milk, the stuff sold like almond milk. I don’t care for almond milk, but can get down the coconut milk substitute stuff. Milk is fine too, or cream if you like it rich.
Greek yogurt is so good, I can’t eat regular yogurt anymore.