September Ruby in the U.S

Anybody in the U.S. growing September Ruby? Seems the only sources I can find are Canadian.

Common in Alaska. Mine should fruit for the first time this year.

2 Likes

Duane, I’ll be real interested to hear what you think of the fruit. It’s been on my “consider list” for some time. I have some notes from @Don3a on his September Ruby’s so hopefully he’ll see this and chime in.

I agree, Stu, the Canadian varieties don’t seem to be grown much here so hard to find info and scions (except in Alaska). Down the road I guess we’ll be the ones to pass that on as we find and grow those hardier. I have two Norkent’s growing (last year grafts) and they are the most vigorous in my orchard. I’m liking those varieties that like our winters. Sue

1 Like

I grow Sept. Ruby it is a lovely tree but still fairly small. The fruit is IMO very good but having said that any apple I can grow is considered good :yum: I would not call it a sweet apple, but it has a sour undertone that I like . That said, the sour could be because I did not know when to pick it and I think I took it too early.

It did not bloom this spring but we had an exceptionally hard winter for fruits. The -30C weather lasted into April ( not normal even for us). It is hardy in my area, no tip die, no frost injury to the trunk.

5 Likes

Your report of the hardiness of September Ruby matches what I’ve seen/read elsewhere. Now if I can find a source of scionwood in the U.S.

1 Like

Give me a reminder next March or so - I could send you some.

1 Like

Thank you very much!