Spring 2017 shipment from Gurney's has arrived

This is my 1st fruit tree purchase from Gurney’s and thought I would pass along a picture of the trees to help others know what to expect from Gurney’s.

Bought the new varieties Baker’s Delight and Crunch-A-Bunch on semi dwarf rootstock which I am a pretty sure is M-111. Roots look pretty nice, better than expected.

The DrippenHoney pear (tree on the right in the picture) is on semi dwarf rootstock which the website says is OHFX 513. Root system size is disappointing but I but hopefully will work ok. The trees came packaged ok but the roots seemed quite dry and immediately went into a bucket of water.

Overall pretty happy with the purchase so far.

2 Likes

What is the caliper (diameter, an inch or two above the graft union) for those trees? I’ve got the same two apples coming myself in a few weeks.

Bob, looks like about 5/8" caliper

I’d say those pear roots are very disappointing, too. It would be best at planting time you clipped off the ends of each to show “white.” I wouldn’t hesitate blending a bit of compost in your backfill, too. I wouldn’t recommend compost any other time, but that’s going to need some really loose soil to help it get going.

Just my opinion.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks- yes, they look pretty good. I prefer feathered to whips, but at least it is decently thick and has some roots. If it was 3/8" or had roots like the pear, it would take more time to size up.

I’ve never looked it up to verify, but Trees of Antiquity says:

*As noted by University of California Scientists and other qualified professionals the most successful trees often have caliper from 1/2" to 5/8" and usually establish faster than smaller and larger planting stock.

I ordered the Standard because the only other choice was a full dwarf. They say a tree that will get 6 feet tall. That sounds like M27 or something puny like that. How did you get a semi dwarf?

Murky, another member of the forum checked with Gurney’s and was told that what the offer as Standard and Semi Dwarf rootstocks are all M-111.

My standard arrived and it looks like the pictured. There were 2 or 3 tiny side branches at the top that were cut down to 1 inch nubs.

Got mine in today (same two trees, Baker’s Delight and Crunch-a-Bunch). Both are 5/8" and 32-33" from union to top. I haven’t unpacked the roots, but they look decent and there is enough moisture.

Unlike Murky, I got the “delux” (which comes with some other junk). But, it sounds like that’s the only difference. Though I would opt for normal in the future, I don’t feel bad about the purchase, as it is a decent tree for the price ($26/tree + $13 shipping).

1 Like