Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

My peach trees were fuzzy & silver heading to the warm spell, cools down over the next 48hrs but they have reversed coarse and are not near bud break? Dodged a bullet but it sure is wierd.

It was 77 degrees F here today. Over 40 degrees above normal. It shattered the all-time record high for the whole month of February. Fortunately we have had clear skies for the most part over this heat wave, and without any transpiration to hold the humidity high, we cycled to freezing or slightly above most nights. We only had one warm night in the 50’s.

For me it looks so far the damage has been minimal. I don’t think my plums and peach have started to move much. Nothing is going on on my Alderman plum, and maybe a very slight swelling on the Superior plum.

I can’t believe it, here in missouri we’ve not had a winter and my apricots have opened some blooms, the pluots and plums are about to and I see green tips everywhere. Even the peach and nectarines are swelling, ime afraid we are in trouble this year

1 Like

Here is my earliest Nanking last night

7 Likes

In North Texas (north of Dallas) I have one peach tree already past bloom and has a decent fruit set. All of my plums (2 pluots and 2 pluerries…so no real plums I guess) are in full bloom. Cherries, pears, apples and other peaches/nectarines are holding steady with no signs of budding out just yet. Although we are currently at 88 degrees as we speak here on Feb 23.

All 4 of my blueberries are in full bloom (but all are in pots so can take in garage if need be).
My 2 blackberries (Kiowa and Osage) are not currently in bloom…but getting close.

Figs/Pomegranates are holding steady with no signs of life just yet.

1 Like

Yup…the cold will put an end to any movement.

After the snow…looks chilly, but nothing special. Might be awhile before this snow melts.

1 Like

A concern of mine is the -25 F. we had mid-December after a mild fall.

I had -16F in that stretch. Probably be a good month before i’ll find out what made it through or didn’t.

1 Like

I brought in some aprium sprouts to force about a week ago, and they’re already opening, so clearly they made it thru

1 Like

Depressing because some of my trees are loaded with fruit buds for the first time. Based on some of the earlier bloomers in my orchard the earliest seems to be Flavor Delight. Followed by Robada, Orange red, Goldcot, flavor grenade, flavor Supreme, Flavor King, and Dapple dandy. Peach and Nect buds have been fuzzy and swollen for a long time but seem to have calm down a bit.

Galina,
Today Worcester reached 64 F breaking the record of 61 F in 1990. Tomorrow high will be 65 F and 61 F on Sat. Too bad.

Yes… I try not to look out of the window… Nothing much I can do about it. Very depressing. My trees are on the north side of the house, and also in a place to dump snow when using snowblower. So snow is still there… But I am not sure how much it will help with that weather…

I walk my backyard everyday checking for signs of bud awakening. Dreadful feeling at time of the year.

1 Like

So far only peach looks really fuzzy and ready to go… Plum, apricot and cherry - not so bad… But I do not come close :slight_smile:

85 today. 26 by Saturday morning. I have 1 nectarine,1 peach and Santa Rosa plum in full bloom.

Oh,Boy, That’s bad(

Mike,

Hope the 26 degree will be brief. We here in the Northeast lost our crops esp. peaches/nect and plums last year by April freeze. It’s too harsh to have a similar fate second year in a row.

2 Likes

Tomorrow it’s 80 degrees. Saturday 65. After that cool off for few days. I’m worried about the early blooms but I gotta tell you kids (and I) love the warm weather for a change. Maple trees are in bloom already. Hopefully it won’t be bad.

Beautiful!

1 Like

I guess we will see how they handle 26 tomorrow morning
Mike

6 Likes