Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

Since you track the weather more intensely than others, have you (or anyone else) noticed that the sun seems to give off a different color nowadays compared to say 10-20 years ago? What I mean is that it appears to have a more white color than that yellow look from years past.

Dood are you sure that’s not just how your eyes were 10-20 years ago? And didn’t your mom tell you to stop looking directly at the sun? But seriously, there are sun spot cycles that have a fairly regular pattern than can effect the appearance of the sun.

2 Likes

Flavor King.

Wow Speedster, that’s brutal. Sorry for you loss!

:frowning:

1 Like

Wow, that looks like the tree is damaged too.

1 Like

It could be that as we have almost no sun spots right now. And it went from record numbers to almost nothing. They were expecting it though. So it’s normal.

1 Like

Speed,
Sorry for the loss.

I have to re- think pluots as they are early bloomers for me.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you’ll get a good growing season to recover.

1 Like

Sorry to see that Dave. :grimacing:

1 Like

That damage is not from freeze. That was from cicada last summer. Tree seemed to recover just fine and obviously put out a fair amount of buds.

It’s not the end of the world. Was looking forward to my first taste of homegrown flavor king but it will have to wait. All of my pluots, asian plums, and apricots are toast. My two euro plums are very dormant but they are from last year’s grafts and don’t appear to have many flower buds. I’ll get some apples, pears, blueberries, and cherries this year. Maybe even peaches and nectarines if I get lucky.

Sorry for your loss. What temperatures did they get?

1 Like

Speed, I have many plums and apricots looking like that now, and its probably going to get worse with the snow wave coming. I’m mainly hoping my peaches and cherries do OK at this point, the apricots and plums are 80-90% toast.

1 Like

Down to 16 one night and 18 on a couple nights.

I don’t think we are going to get much either. I have already lost some of my peaches, I have two trees covered and have lights for heat so maybe I will get lucky and salvage a few peaches.

Well, we are at a sunspot minimum right now, but solar irradiance in certain wavelengths has been steadily going up over the last five years or so, especially in the red, and infrared ranges. Not to get into a climate change discussion, but could that explain hotter global temps over the last few years?

I have read accounts of folks having similar experiences with the changing of the sun’s color and intensity, so I am not alone. Is it significant? I don’t know, but it is interesting to ponder.

1 Like

Sorry to see that, I’m afraid that sad scene has been and will repeated with a lot of folks.

But, yes, hopefully you’ll get some other tree fruits and berries this year.

Sorry for you loss! :cry:

Oh Speedster, so sorry, that is just terrible.

For what i understand we are entering a period of low sunspots…so who knows what will come of our future weather patterns. If you look back in time…low sunspot numbers seem to match up with cool patterns (little ice age)…but who really knows anymore. In the long run we probably see ice sheets reform like they have in the past…but we’ll all be long gone by then (or so i think)…i guess a wild card is if a big volcano erupts. I remember summer 1992 (went to California that summer) and coming back it was very cool…Volcano summer==Mt Pinatubo.