Summer Fruit Storage and Maximizing Usage

Summer fruits are coming in droves. Make sure to know how to store and use them for maximum enjoyment without wasting a lot. A lot of good tips from selecting the fruits, and the best time to use them, and what to do when they’re overripe.

3 Likes

Glad you posted this. It is time to start getting ready for dealing with our fruit. There is one suggestion that I respectfully disagree with and that is to not wash the blueberries before storage. I freeze my excess blueberries and blackberries and take a few out at a time. I thoroughly wash and dry and then freeze. When I want a snack the amount I want can be removed from the bag and they are clean and ready for consumption. The key is to thoroughly dry them before freezing and they won’t stick together. Great post. Thanks

2 Likes

I wash my berries in potassium bicarbonate to prevent fungal infections without distorting their flavors. Baking soda is also good but I limit my sodium intake, so I use the more expensive potassium bicarbonate. Typically 4 teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate or baking soda per gallon of water is very good disinfectant for washing the fruits. It also helps remove a lot of chemical pesticides. If I intend to freeze the fruits, I dip them in citric acid solution first then seal, to help prevent freezer burn.

2 Likes