The 2017 fig season

I thought I would start a fresh thread, as the others are so full.

Unknown Teramo is one of my favorites. A small fig, but tasty! Any other good small figs? I’m tending to like these. Anyway Teramo is giving me more reasons to like it. Looks like the breba crop will be the first to ripen. Also the breba is about 4 times larger than the main crop figs. Main crop figs are really round, the breba looks round too. I need a few years under my belt to get a better idea on many figs.
here’s the breba

My fig forest is well underway

Craven’s Craving is one prolific producer! Very close to Black Madeira. I’m air layering this branch.

One I added this year is the Madeira Island fig, which is probably just a BM. I watched a few auctions on EBay and once in awhile nobody bids. You must know the sellers, I always search their names on F4F before I bid. I got a Galicia Negra for 10 bucks! I wasn’t going to add this one, but for the price, it was a steal. One up for auction right now is over 60 bucks.

Some new additions are
Lebanese Black/Purple
Violet Sepor
LSU Red
Bass Favorite Fig
Miralla (MP)
Jurupa

9 Likes

Does look a lot like Preto and Black Madeira.

Teramo is a fig I think will be on the short list of varieties to have for shorter climates. Glad I’ve got one.

2 Likes

[quote=“Drew51, post:1, topic:11790”]
I got a Galicia Negra for 10 bucks! I wasn’t going to add this one, but for the price, it was a steal. One up for auction right now is over 60 bucks.[/quote]

That is a great price. Galicia Negra, BB10, most CdDs, and Martinenca Rimada have so far been reluctant setters. Preto, Black Madeira, BFF, Izmir, Cendrosa, Maltese Beauty, and Strawberry Verte are ready setters but Preto and BM are the best.

1 Like

My 1st year growing 2 potted figs, do they like slightly crowded or even pot bound roots? My plants are healthy but slow growers. Watered every other day in a very loose, light, soil.

I’ve found that being root bound increases bearing. I water figs in pots every day.

Root bound is how I ended up with this:

16 Likes

Yeah why I’m reluctant to pay big bucks, I’ll trade but that’s it, most I have trades for already. I need to slow down and evaluate my figs, I need to eliminate some big time.
Plus with CC and Madeira Island Black Fig, and also JF & E BM not, I have this category covered. All are doing great. I’ll try and root JF&E this winter for you, I owe you a couple anyway. Hoping it’s that Col. Littman Black Cross, one I would like to add just in case JF&E is something else.
I’m also looking for Black Bethlehem just because it is one that will fruit if killed to the ground, so i want to plant that one out. [quote=“ross, post:3, topic:11790”]
Teramo is a fig I think will be on the short list of varieties to have for shorter climates.
[/quote]

Yes it appears early fruiting for sure. I like the taste too, some may not, one has to try to find out.

I love that photo, crazy plants!

I may need to root prune this winter. That should increase vegetative growth and give bigger leaves. It will still set a fruit at every leaf node but maybe with bigger leaves and longer internodes I won’t need to thin the fruit like I should have this yr. My buddy did try one this morning and said it was very good despite the huge crop load.

3 Likes

@Fruitnut,
That’s the best looking fig I’ve seen! What a fruit load!

1 Like

This spring I planted Armenian, Blue Celeste, Mary Lane and Janice Seedless Kadota, all of which I rooted last year. This year I rooted Col de Dame Noir, Gris de St. Jean, Igo, Lampeira Branca and Violet Sepor. They will go into the ground next year. All cuttings were from CRFG scion exchanges. Summers here are too hot for figs to thrive in pots, they survive with covered pots and daily watering but aren’t very happy. They do very well in the ground though, but still every tree needs space and irrigation. Therefore, I’m not planning on having a huge fig collection.

3 Likes

Our first real fig harvest was yesterday. One photo is all Desert King. The other are Stella, Negronne, Conadria, and Latterula.

7 Likes

Zea, your Desert King looks quite underripe to me. Mine turns much more yellowish as it ripens. I usually wait until it’s dead ripe for the best flavor.

2 Likes

@Stan’s post and the previous picture made me realize that I don’t know how tell if my figs are ripe. Last year only one set and the ants ate it one day near as I can tell.

Am I just looking for sagging and softness?

1 Like

A fully ripe fig should be sagging/drooping and becomes very soft and wrinkly. It detaches with very little effort. Some also develop cracks (depends on variety). In hot weather the transition from underripe to ripe can be very quick. Therefore, during ripening season I check my figs and harvest them at least twice a day.

4 Likes

Those figs are ripe. Most are as soft as a ripe avocado. They are mostly a day or two before the completely jelly bag stage, but we are going to sell them so we have to get them to market intact. At the farmers market on Sunday we set aside the extremely ripe ones for samples, or sometimes sell them to people who are going to eat them right away.

3 Likes

On Wednesday, I rescued a Brown Turkey from someone in downtown Vancouver (outgrew its container) and repotted it into one of my spare 35g black planter pots. Added some organic fertilizer and will be adding some rabbit poop in tomorrow and keeping it well watered during its transition in the middle of a sunny stretch of good weather. It’s got tiny, tiny figlets which may be too late to fully develop unless I move the fig tree into my greenhouse after the tomatoes are done for the season.

2 Likes

I definitely don’t check that often. I brushed a little breba fig to see if it was soft and it broke off and squeezes, so hopefully this is my first fig!

Edit: I think I will like this fig eventually. This one was really small and not very sweet, but it was pleasant to eat. It tasted vaguely like the white part of a strawberry.

1 Like

Here are my 20 varieties of figs that I started the cuttings this early Spring. They are starting to have little figlets. Thanks to Strudeldog.

Tony

Late March, in Bagie method

They are now!!

11 Likes

Your figs look great. You should send a few down that slide :wink:

3 Likes

They sure loved the Urea Nitrogen 43-0-0. Some are over 2 feet tall and had to be pinched back at every fifth leaf for early fruits production.

Tony

2 Likes