The pears you may not have heard of and should consider growing

Growing Rescue, but it has not yet set for me. It is supposed to be quite good, so hoping I have some fruit set this year. I was considering adding Beurre Superfin as well. Lots of flowers starting to pop on some of my pears. Pineapple has already set some fruits. And Clark, I thought you’d find these photos of my Suij pear really interesting. This tree looks a bit bizarre right now, with these really strange, swollen up spurs or leaf nodes (can’t quite tell yet which they are):

7 Likes

Those pears look good. My pears get those swollen buds as they age and begin to produce fruits. Pineapple is another I’m adding this year. I’ve said it before ,You have great taste in pears.

2 Likes

I have Orcas and Rescue but neither have fruited for me yet.

2 Likes

I have Orcas and Rescue, they will flower this spring for the first time. No evaluation yet.

2 Likes

@clarkinks

I have the both going into their 5th year in my ground. They haven’t fruited yet.

Maybe this year.
Mike

2 Likes

Let us know how it goes they might be excellent pears by the sound of things.

Are they on 333 rootstock? That seems quick for flowers on these 2. That’s excellent news!

Alan,
How many pears are you currently growing?

Well in ground all I have is a HoneySweet, it should have it’s first pears this year.

Now I have scion of 3 Asian varieties rooting with one more variety of Asian pear scion on the way this year, I also have just received scion of a rescued pear that I am guessing is a European type pear you know which one, besides that I am getting 3 varieties of European type pears this year.

By end of next week I should have 8 new varieties of pear this year, as well as the variety in the ground.

I had some Ya Li starter trees that I rooted successfully from Scion a few years after I moved to this new climate, all the scion rooted successfully yet I had no idea how dangerous the sun was here in the spring coming from a much colder climate with much weaker spring sun and I burnt them to death by accident.

I will later share on this forum my rooting method that has a high success rate, Corvallis knew I was going to root the Ya Li scion that they sent me and they sent me instructions on how to root them, they worked very good yet mine is an improved version of theirs, I will keep trying to make my version better in time.

I have been doing a lot of research on pears first in 2012, then I started researching them again recently, I started out as a fig collector, then as a pomegranate collector, now I am a pear collector as well. I have strong interest in saving plants, and making improved plants especially where disease and climate sensitivity are concerned. Poor fruit quality at the stores, and having tasted much better fruit than in the stores in Europe, and on the occasional lucky purchase in a store drives me to grow them myself, I do not want to be satisfied with like only 1% of the fruit I eat, also in the end it’s much cheaper to grow them myself than to buy them.

3 Likes

You will have to make a thread on pear propagation, I would be very interested to see your process.

3 Likes

I certainly will, I am still learning myself, luckily I got that info from Corvallis, and luckily I have had propagation rooting experience with fig trees many years now, as well as I have been studying different rooting methods and why they work, different soils and why they work or don’t work, and so on.

3 Likes

Yes, they are on the dwarfing rootstock, although I do not know which one. It did not say it on the label and I was not really interested to know when I was buying it. The third leaf tree is kind of too small in my opinion but it has a good amount of flowerbuds.

1 Like

I have been doing some more pear research and found a late pear I found interesting, but one recent reference to it was on a list of lost or missing pears.
Van de weyer bates, maybe it has a more common name?

1 Like

I just read that “Van de weyer bates” most likely still grows in Australia

1 Like

Van de weyer bates is said to have been developed by “Jean-Baptiste Van Mons” Jean-Baptiste Van Mons - Wikipedia in Belgium released in 1823, many of the pear varieties he made were planted in the gardens of “Palace of Versailles” Jean-Baptiste Van Mons - Wikipedia in France. I wonder if those gardens may have Van de weyer bates, if Van de weyer bates is still in Belgium.

“Van de weyer bates” has been grown in NYC, in Australia, in Great Britain, in Belgium and most likely in France. the pear varieties made by “Jean-Baptiste Van Mons” in general were distributed to more countries than that.

1 Like

The “Gardens of Versailles” has about 200,000 trees. Gardens of Versailles - Wikipedia

1 Like

HoneySweet is a cross of “Vermont Beauty” x “Roi Charles de Wurtemberg”. “Vermont Beauty” is a variety of Seckel pear, the other pear is a German pear once grown by a king.

1 Like

Hi Alan,
I hadn’t heard that, but had only read vague references to it being a Seckel seedling so I looked it up and found the patent application which lists it as Seckel x U.S.220 (31S51). And its supposed to have excellent fireblight resistance (as good as Kieffer). Regardless of its parentage I’m looking forward to tasting it!

“The fruit ranges from 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 inches in diameter, ripening to a golden russet. The flesh is very smooth and buttery with no detectable grit. The flavor is rich, very sweet, and resembles, Seckel.”

I have a 7 years old Honey sweet from Starkbros, the fruits are good but will rot if I let them hang on the tree too long.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
It looks like the honeysweet patent was filed in 1979 http://www.google.com/patents/USPP4379. If the pear is as good as it sounds I will be growing more of those. How long did honey sweet take to produce pears?