The pears you may not have heard of and should consider growing

This year I added several pears you might not have heard of that sound like winners for one reason or another. This link has excellent information on several additional varieties http://tandeecal.com/page10.htm. What are some of the most obscure pears you grow? The descriptions below are a few of the ones I added

Beierschmitt Pear - according to Fruit | Albemarle Ciderworks & Vintage Virginia Apples
“BEIERSCHMITT originated in Fairbanks, Fayette County, Iowa, by J.A. Beierschmitt, and was introduced in 1927. It is considered to be a seedling of Bartlett. The seed planted by Marie Beierschmitt, mother of J.A. Beierschmitt, about 1900 bore its first fruit about 1908 to 1910. The original tree died when it was about 15 years old, but many suckers had been transplanted from it. This variety was first called to the attention of S.A. Beach (Apples of New York author) in 1921. The fruit is medium to large, broader than Bartlett but without as much neck, with a skin thin and tender, greenish-yellow to clear pale yellow when ripened, with slight russet. The fruit is firm, tender, very juicy, highly aromatic, and of high quality. The flesh is fairly fine, juicy, buttery, and quite free of grit. This pear has a mild, pleasing flavor and rates rather high in dessert quality. The skin is too tender to withstand commercial handling. It keeps somewhat longer than Bartlett. The tree is fairly vigorous, spreading or willowy in habit, productive, with some resistance to fire blight.”

Karls Favorite aka Ewart -according to https://www.jungseed.com/P/30825/Karl’S+Favorite+Pear+(Dwarf)
“Ewart - An excellent quality pear originating near Akron, Ohio in 1928. Yellow fruits have slightly russeted skin and are quite large, some over 1 lb each. Flesh is fine-grained, melting and juicy, superb for fresh eating and canning. The hardy, vigorous trees are very productive, bear annually and have moderate resistance to Fire Blight. Fruit ripens in September”

Plumblee - according to http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/pears/pears.html
“Plumblee (E) is a green, firm, sweet, and juicy pear. It is a local pear, having been grown by my friend’s father for many decades. It makes excellent pear preserves. I like it better than most apples. Tree is disease resistant and hardy. It ripens in late August to early September.”

Citron de Carmes - according to Medieval Cookery - Fruit
“This is a very fine early fruit - the size is small, not much larger than the Hativeau - the skin green, the flesh juicy, buttery, and highly flavored - the taste, when not too ripe, sugary. This pear Mr. Prince calls the early Chaumontel; it is one of the finest fruits of the season. – W. Coxe, A view of the cultivation of fruit trees, 1817.”

Doctor Desportes - according to http://www.thebookofpears.fruitforum.net/directory/doctor-desportes
"Good quality and regular crops. "

Fondante de Moulins Lille - according to https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1436126
“Obtained in 1858 by M. Grolez-Duriez, Rouchin-lez-Lille, France, from a seed of Napolean. Propagated in France since 1863. Resembles Buerre d’Anjou in form and appearance but it is a little smaller in size. Flesh white, fine, free of grit, melting, extremely juicy. Very sweet, slightly acidulous, rich venous flavor. Of outstanding dessert quality but may be a little too soft in texture to withstand commercial handling. Midseason. Tree fairly vigorous, annual bearer, good foliage. True-dwarf on quince. Moderately susceptible to blight. - H. Hartman, 1957”

Tyson - according to http://barkslip.com/pear_tree_descriptions.html
"Tyson- Tyson competes with Clapp Favorite as the precursor of the pear season which is really opened by Bartlett. In every character of fruit and tree excepting size and color of fruit, Tyson excels Clapp Favorite. The quality of the fruit far excels that of Clapp Favorite and is better than that of Bartlett. Indeed, of commonly grown pears, the characters of flesh and flavor are second only to those of the fruits of Seckel. The flesh is melting and juicy, with a spicy, scented sweetness that gives the fruit the charm of individuality. The pears keep longer and ship better than those of Clapp Favorite; their season in New York is from the middle of August to the middle of September. Unfortunately, the pears are but medium in size, and are often poorly colored, both of which defects appear on the fruits of this variety as grown on the grounds of this Station and shown in the accomanying illustration.

The tree is the most nearly perfect of that of any pear grown in America-the Kieffer, praiseworthy only in its tree, not excepted. The tree is certainly as hardy as that of any other variety, if not hardier, and resists better than that of any other sort the black scourge of blight. Add to these notable characters large size, great vigor, and fruitfulness, and it is seen that the trees are nearly flawless. The only fault is, and this is a comparatively trifling one, that the trees are slow in coming in bearing. Tyson is the best pear of its season for the home orchard, and has much merit for commercial orchards. Were the fruits larger, it would rival Bartlett for the markets. No other variety offers so many good starting points for the pear-breeder.

Tyson originated as a wilding found about 1794 in a hedge on the land of Jonathan Tyson, Jenkintown, Penn. The tree first bore fruit in 1800. The pears proved to be so good that Mr. Tyson distributed cions among his neighbors, but the variety was not generally disseminated. About 1837, a Doctor Mease of Philadelphia sent cions to B. V. French, Braintree, near Boston, who in turn distributed them among his friends. The variety fruited here about 1842, and the fruit was exhibited before the Massachusetts Horticultural Society under the name Tyson. In 1848, at the National Convention of Fruit Growers, Tyson was recommended for general cultivation, and since that date the name has appeared continuously in the catalogs of the American Pomological Society.

Tree very large, vigorous, upright-spreading, tall, dense-topped, hardy, productive; trunk very stocky, rough; branches thick, dull reddish-brown, overspread with gray scarf-skin, with few lenticels; branchlets slender, short, light brown mingled with green, smooth, glabrous, sprinkled with few small, inconspicuous lenticels. Leaf-buds small, short, conical, pointed, plump, appressed or free. Leaves 22, in. long, 11 in. wide, thin; apex abruptly pointed; margin finely and shallowly serrate; petiole 5, in. long. Flower-buds small, short, conical, pointed, plump, free, singly on short spurs; flowers medium in season of bloom. Fruit matures in late August; medium in size, 2 .1 in. long, 1 in. wide, roundish-acute-pyriform, with unequal sides; stem 13 in. long, curved; cavity very shallow, obtuse, round, usually drawing up as a lip about the base of the stem; calyx open, small, lobes separated at the base, short, narrow, acute; basin shallow, narrow, flaring, slightly furrowed, compressed; skin tough, smooth, slightly russeted, dull; color deep yellow, usually blushed; dots numerous, very small, obscure; flesh tinged with yellow, granular around the basin, otherwise rather fine-grained, tender and melting, very juicy, sweet, aromatic; quality very good. Core small, closed, with clasping core-lines; calyx-tube, short, wide, conical, seeds medium in size and width, plump, acute. The flesh is melting and Juicy, with a spicy, scented sweetness that gives the fruit the charm of individuality. – U.P. Hedrick, The Pears of New York, 1921."

12 Likes

Boy I used to have a bunch of odd balls when I was in the Austin area. I still have a few. I have one Spadona Di Salerno and another pear called Epps-Greer which may be a known Euro pear that no one knew in the south knew about. It was discovered in South Carolina at an old home site as an old very healthy tree producing great pears apparently. It is very low chill. I havent harvested fruit of either yet. I had a bunch of the varities that were being distributed around the south like Southern Bartlett, Acres Home, Tennosui, Leona, Fan-Stil( probably just Leconte) Tennessee and a few others. I also had Abate Fetel. I liked Southern Bartlett but didn,t consider it great. I was always healthy and was low chill for sure though. Another pear that I grafted was an old variety called Garber. It looked like a Granny Smith apple! It was actually at its best to me eaten right off the tree still crisp. There were several old healthy trees that were very productive in the area. I’m not sure why more people don’t talk about this one.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of the Epps-Greer and only heard vague mention from the forums here of Spadona Di Salerno. The low chill types you grow will fruit in colder areas? My abate fetel graft got broke off in a storm this year. Fan Stil and Acres home are others I have not heard of. They all sound wonderful!

Started growing a couple of others called Treasure and St Nicholas that I got from a friend that I’ve never heard of and still Know nothing about. I will post more about them when I see how they do here. There is only vague mention of them here and there from a couple of Kansas sources such as this one Wagon Wheel Orchard: Antique Pear Tree List for 2012

1 Like

I would like to find a non gritty melting European pear that is really SWEET and fire blight resistant. To me Bartlett are ok but of all the pears I have tried it is the sweetness in the flavor that I prefer. I like green Anjou but I don’t know if it could take the fire blight here. I wounder if there is an obscure European pear out there that would fit the bill. I hear lots of talk on this forum about brix but rarely in relation to European pears. I really like sweet pears, they just taste so good to me that I can’t describe it properly.

4 Likes

Magness, Harvest Queen, and Gorham are my favorite growable pears I’ve ever tasted.

I am also in process of trying (or planning to try) to grow Tyson, FdM-L, and Docteur Desportes.

4 Likes

Is magness sweet or more like Bartlett in flavor? I put two grafts on my tree this year.

1 Like

Magness is like Comice meets Seckel (its actual parents). Buttery melting texture. Sweet balanced perfect pear flavor. They’re good in Oct/Nov. Juicy enough, but not sopping bib juicy like Bartlett can be. That’s more like Gorham, which is a Bartlett child.

3 Likes

Derby,
Potomac is reportedly close to Anjou and Fb resistant.
Matt,
I added Magness, Harvest Queen, and Gorham. Not all of the pears are compatible with all of the callery rootstocks I use. I used ohxf333, callery, ohxf97 this year. Ohxf is far better rootstock than what I had been using and seems much more compatible than callery with many things. Callery is great rootstock for hardiness but I think an interstem would be a good idea in many cases. My BET rootstocks are to small to use this year.

1 Like

I recently bought a Magness on 333 from Boyer’s and it’s a beautiful little tree.

All my other pears are on 87, which I am liking too.

2 Likes

Matt,
Worden is starting to put on a small amount of growth so I’m still hopeful it will take.
Clsrk

Thanks Clark, I added it to my list.

1 Like

I mispoke in my post. Epps - Greer was found in Georgia another variety I used to grow called Lemate was found in SC. You know most of the pears I was growing were good for sure but probably not top tier. Most were note worthy for there fb resistance and low chilling requirement. Abate Fetel was awsome for me and stacks up against the best anywere. I think Epps - Greer, Lemate, Tennosui, Spadona, and maybe Leona have real potential to be top notch as well. I loved Garber but more because it was diffrent. Some of the other higher chill pears would be better than what I was able to grow. I think you could grow the lower chill types in a more northen local but I dont know for sure. My guess is that some years they would get frosted out but some years they would do well.

2 Likes

Jason,
Here’s a description of the parentage and the characteristics https://www.albemarleciderworks.com/product/trees/potomac-pear-tree .
Potomac - " Potomac was released by USDA as a pear variety in 1993. It is a hybrid derived from the Moonglow and Anjou cross. The skin is light green and glossy, and the flesh is moderately fine with a flavor similar to the Anjou pear. It is a small, sweet pear with fine, buttery flesh. It has a subacid flavor with a mild aroma. The tree is moderately vigorous and is the highest quality fireblight resistant variety available. Ripens two weeks after Bartlett; keeps 8-10 weeks in refrigerated storage. Hardy in Zones 5-8."

Clark

2 Likes

Thank you Clark, sounds delicious.

1 Like

Wildscaper.
Those pears you mentioned sound very good. I can’t wait to try them!
Clark

I am trying Potomac too. @Appleseed70 Jeff sent me budsticks.

2 Likes

Matt,
Potomac sure are vigorous growing pears! I may have to cut them back or stake them. Potomac loves it here. I added them to a couple of trouble spots I had and so far they are exceeding all my expectations. I top worked a Bartlett type FB susceptible rootstock and a problem callery or two. So far everything is working out well.
Clark

3 Likes

I look forward to hearing more about the pears Clark. I realized I had neglected my pear collecting as I was only able to move my dear Conference and left Aurora behind when I moved. I grafted Rescue, Magness, Ubileen, Harrow Sweet and Concorde this year and bought an Orcas tree. I used both OH 333 and Quince C rookstocks. I need pear patience. Hope I will be happy getting to taste new apple varieties instead.

2 Likes

Quill,
On 333 and quince you will have pears before you know it! Those all sound like excellent choices you made on pears and rootstocks. Many of those pears I’m not growing currently but may add them in the future. They are very popular pears for a number of reason and known to be some of the best tasting.
Clark

2 Likes