The Scions Aint Dead Yet Post

I turned the temperature in my Scion mini fridge down to 2. The remaining bits of scions I dipped in rooting hormone and planted in a mix of play sand and peat moss.

For light I got a grow light strip from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Hgrope-Indoor-Greenhouse-Plants-Hydroponics/dp/B077BHCG1T/ref=sr_1_63?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1527480573&sr=1-63&keywords=led+grow+light

Its like a little rain forest in there between the evaporation and condensation. The fridge tray keeps the light and scions from getting dripped on.

They have been in there for at least 2 weeks now. Nothing is dead yet.

6 Likes

Still not dead. On setting 2 the fridge is staying at about 50 degrees. Plums and a gold rush apple on the left apples on the right.

1 Like

Most Scions aint dead yet.

Mostly Plums

Root Hormone residue.

The base of these are starting to bulb out. Callus formation?

Shiro from my tree that got hit by the nor’easter. It had already started callus in the ziplock which is why I started this in the first place. The callus has developed even more. This piece lost the leaves it had previously developed. It is still showing quite a green scratch test.

Apples,
thee three are the same one is clearly dead and rotting the other two are alive with a green scratch test. But the cut end is starting to rot on most apples.

I need to go back and take a picture of the rest of the apples. Despite the rotting on the cut end several are leafed out and still looking alive.

Next step. since I have several duplicates I am going split them up and introduce GA3 and/or Triacontanol hormones. Everything was already dipped in Indole-3-butyric Acid IBA rooting hormone.

1 Like

I’m doing the same thing with my left over scions that I could not get to take when trying to graft them. I’m using clear plastic cups that have 4 small holes burnt into the bottom with paper towels that are cut to fit to act as filters to keep the course sand in place. I have mine in a plastic storage container with the lid left off. The air conditioner keeps the room at 73 degrees and so far the scions are pushing leaves. They are not in direct sun light but the room is bright.

I had plum scions that started rooting in fridge. It was because I kept a wet paper towel wrapped around the base of the scions. I noticed the root buds when I was throwing them out in August, so that was almost 6 months in the fridge.

It seems that anything plum related has potential to root from dormant cuttings. Recently, I’ve been rooting dormant prunings from Citation and K1. After pruning in winter, I dip the cuttings in hormone and place them in damp sphagnum moss in an a cold cellar way. As the daily temps warmup, they will start pushing roots. I never calculated success rate, but it seemed like half rooted. Considering they were just a waste product, I wasn’t too concerned about success rate.

3 Likes

Chestnut will do that too, especially shoot tips. I’ve got one that leafed Feb 19, and although it’s growing VERY slowly, it’s rooted and making slow progress. (castanea chestnut, not aesculus chestnut)
It seems to help to plant a small whole potatoe tuber in the same pot and strike the cutting within the root zone of the spud. I tried that last year, for 4 of 4 rooted. This year I got curious and tried them in a glass of water; after 39 days one had rotted, and one looked more or less unchanged. I then added a small potato tuber, and day 46, there was noticeable callus, roots soon to follow. It might have rooted anyway, but the spud didn’t hurt, so I’ll try it again.

1 Like

Plums continue to callus. The Goldrush stored with the plums also appears to be callusing. The other apples perhaps where to wet to long and a few where clearly rotted on the bottom and green cambian above. I snipped all of those ends and dipped in fresh IBA rooting hormone.

Of the apples and Plums for which I had more then one I created a third container and filled it with the same sand and peat and GA3 and Tricotanol hormone. See what happens.

3 Likes

I simply stuffed the upper ends of Geneva 30 root stocks in a bucket with mediocre potting soil and sand. They got scored on opposite sides, dusted with rooting hormone and kept reasonably damp in morning sun, and left outside (Spokane WA.) All six are leafed out and look good.

(Tried to post a photo and didn’t figure it out yet. Will get adult supervision to try again later.)

1 Like

Sorry for no updates. In the fridge most plums appear to be in a state of suspended animation. Most of the apples are clearly dyeing. I turned the fridge down to 1 which left it quite warm and humid in side. After a week there is lots of filliumious mold growing. turned it back up to 2 now and I will cycle it between 1 and 2 to see if that finally kills everything.

By scoring I assume you mean that you scraped the bark until the green under laying tissue was showing?

1 Like

You got it; just need a bit more cambium exposed to the rooting hormone. They all look green, and only one has pushed any other leaves. That’s OK, all I need 'em for are roots next winter/spring.