Theories of warm weather rind and cleft graft failures

I have a theory why rind and cleft graft failures are more frequent in warmer weather. I suspect the wax and tar agents we use may melt down in between the scion and rootstock in extremely hot weather and cause the graft to fail. Anyone ever observed this? I have heard no reports of it. Does Doc Farwells melt in warm weather Grafting Seal, Pint [SealPT] - $14.00 : Northwest Cider Supply, Northwest Cider Supply ?

You can use cheap latex caulk, it wont melt.

2 Likes

TurkeyCreekTrees ,
I have seen people post pictures using caulking and perhaps that’s why they use it. That makes more sense now.

2 Likes

Its cheaper than most of the sealers as well and convenient to apply in the field.

2 Likes

I use Parafilm tape both for the grafts here in So. Calif and trees shipped to very hot climates (Nigeria, Niger, Namibia). Of all of these locations So Calif can be the hottest during grafting season, it is not unusual to hit in the 100’s during April. I still get about 100% take on cleft grafts. Soil fungus and termites is usually the cause of graft failures and then rootstock death in the tropics.

3 Likes

Do you not fill the cleft gap with anything? I would think insects, rain etc would get into the crack. Do you just wrap parafilm across the top to seal it?

The graft itself is with vinyl tape, and the tape wraps over the end of the rootstock to seal everything. Only the scion bud (one bud in our case) is wrapped with parafilm, which extends a little over the rootstock also.

The sprout lower down on the rootstock will be rubbed off.

2 Likes

I use latex caulk on my grafts, mostly large rind grafts. It will wash off I the rain if it is not fully cured.

2 Likes

Interesting idea to use latex caulk…new to me. It would be easy and clean to use a caulk gun, spread around with a narrow putty knife. Using white, no need to paint the black grafting compound. I will try…thanks!

Marc

3 Likes

Derby,
You were the first I observed using caulking. It’s a great idea.

1 Like