Today's Harvest

A week away from winter and this is today’s harvest.
Myer lemons
Imperial mandarins
Western Red papaya
Bell pepper
Cherry tomato
Navalina orange

Don’t I love it when it all comes together and I can enjoy the fruits of my labour? There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction is there?

Mick

23 Likes

Good on ya mate!

Thanks Mike…This old Aussie farm boy still remembers a thing or two from the old days.

Does anyone else have harvest pics to share??

Mick

This is the best I can do as it has been quite cold and rainy, morels from the backyard, close to 2 lbs. My first real harvest of berries will start in about 2 weeks.

8 Likes

Mike, that’s an interesting harvest. I have never seen that sort of what I imagine are a type of fungus. They have quite an interesting shape and look quite unappetising in their raw state. But I imagine that they must be quite tasty otherwise people would not bother harvesting them.

I will be really interested to see your berries as where I live is too hot to bother with them. Instead the climate is great for citrus and other sub tropical and tropical fruit. With the development of low chill stone fruit we can now grow some of these. I wish I could grow cherries and apricots in particular.

Mick

Lets face it, they kinda look like brains.:confounded: They’re actually very highly prized by chefs for their flavor and because they are quite difficult to mass produce. They were good, but then what isn’t good fried up in butter and onions-right?

I knew that there would be a good reason why you grew them :upside_down_face:from Down Under

Mick

1 Like

That brings back some childhood memories picking morel mushrooms with my family in Terra Haute, IN and just another thing I miss about the North. One of the best things deep fried.

1 Like

Morel mushrooms are considered a great delicacy, and sell for anywhere from $25-50/lb!

Today’s harvest in the middle of our winter.

Myer Lemons, eggplant, emperor mandarins, bell peppers, Washington navels

7 Likes

OMG I am sooooooo envious. I like the cold but really the only reason I would have for moving to somewhere tropical or subtropical would be to grow my own mango, papaya, mangosteen, rambutan etc. in my own garden. Great job! !!

Anthony

3 Likes

Thanks Anthony. Things have really slowed down in the garden since the weather turned chilly. Still I am harvesting Washington navel oranges, spinach, lettuce and the occasional tomato and still have crops in the ground which will be harvested over the next month or two.
Come summer growing most things except for the hardy plants will be out of the question. I just can’t imagine living in somewhere I can’t keep warm…

Mick

2 Likes

Two Nectaplums, a Black Krim tomato – plus black, gold, and Tigerella cherry tomatoes :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Lovely harvest, Richmond. I have tried to grow the black tomatoes previously without success. The best for this climate seems to be a variety called Tropic.

Mick

2 Likes

Pulled the Candy onions - almost all between 1 1/2 - 2#

2 Likes

Harvested blueberries, Sun Sugar cherry Tomatoes, raspberries and Japanese cucumber to bring to a bbq party.

2 Likes

My onion harvest yesterday. Many onions from the small patch of approximately 2X4 feet.

9 Likes

Candy onions are amazing. Nothing else even tries to do well here.

1 Like

THey keep pretty well, too

2 Likes

A nice harvest from my Florda Prince :blush:

Mick

5 Likes