"V" crotch in young peach tree

Peaches from a seed has a chance to be decent but may be not.

I would chop off the crooked one on the right and leave the straight up one. Then prune to open center. It is easier to see how it’s done than describing it.

Google North Carolina State peach tree pruning. It is one of the best video series of peach pruning demonstration, in my opinion.

And by chopping off half won’t harm the tree? Do I need to paint something on open cut if I do?

Some people do, I don’t becuase I am too lazy to buy sealant for one or two cuts. Also, that size is not too large.

Cut with a little slant, not straight cut so water could roll off from the wound. Cut on a dry day and if there are more dry days after the cut, it is even better.

Just do what @Richard does Eva's Pride Peach Your listed as in Zone 4 so you might still have time to trim back before the season.

Limb spreaders are also useful in achieving a good open vase Limb Spreader Collection - Tree Accessories - Stark Bro’s

Dormant pruning will probably improve the vigor. That will probably heal fine without paint or sealant.

I’d cut the one leaning side of that tree off. You can see at the base of that tree, the bark is already starting to split.

That tree will never support heavy crop loads as it gets older. It will split at the “V”.

You’ll notice the v-crotch doesn’t form a collar, but instead forms a crack. That is an inherently weak joint. I’ve had lots of breakage from joints like that on trunks before I learned how to prune. I still get breakage like that on scaffolds where I don’t do all the pruning, but have help pruning mature peach trees (I prune all young trees myself because it’s a little more difficult to shape young trees than prune a mature tree.)

Since you’re in zone 4, I might wait till the weather is a bit warmer before I did the major surgery of lopping off the side of the tree. Maybe in another couple weeks? Give the tree a shot of nitrogen and you should start to see significant wound callus this summer. Don’t paint anything over the wound. The tree looks healthy and should heal just fine without it. Sometimes wound dressings on trees can cause more harm than good.

Lastly, I would kill the sod back farther than your brick edging. Another couple feet of dead sod would benefit the tree. Young peach trees don’t like to compete with sod.

2 Likes