Watermelon Growing

Well it’s most likely because I live in a more barren place and they have fewer options here. In a month cotton blooms and the bees attention will he elsewhere

2 Likes

Kevin, same with me. Lots of Bumbles and very few HB’s.

2 Likes

Sorbet seedless growing at the Big Tex Urban Farm. A long way to go but looking good! Any of you watermelon gurus grow seedless melons? I don’t remember much discussion about them.

2 Likes

I’ve got three varieties of seedless growing this yr. The TriX-313 had some good fruit. But the best Peddler seeded melon was better.

2 Likes

Fruitnut I thought you grew some of these. I could care less but most people including my children like the seedless it seems. I will definitely look into peddler. Has anyone grown Maxima before? I read a couple studies that seemed to say it was a really good performer.

1 Like

My favorite is Starbrite/Star Brite but I didn’t have seed this yr.

1 Like

I’ll look into that one as well. Thank you sir.

1 Like

In our climate here where summer day time high in the 80’s and low in upper 50’s is common, I have been able to grow Halona and Petit Gris de Rennes Melon.

The DTM for Halona is rated between 68-75 days while Petit Gris de Rennes is 80-85. If not because I received the Petit Gris de Rennes seeds in the seed exchange, I wouldn’t even think of trying it because of the 80-85 DTM. It’s a pleasant surprise that it grows well enough here. I have seen description that says it is well adapted to cool climate.

I use the DTM number as a reference only. A DTM of 80 usually translates to 120-160 days for our area.

2 Likes

Here’s our first one this season (and only my 3rd one ever to grow). It’s a Blacktail Mountain picked yesterday, just a few days past peak, but it was delicious. The kids and I wolfed it down. It weighed about 8 pounds.

We picked the second one today. It’s smaller, weighing only about 6 pounds. It’s in the fridge getting cold. Another 5 of these are still growing. I’m about to plant a couple more seeds to see if I can get a harvest into October.

7 Likes

That looks great! I didn’t realize BTM got that big. I’ll bet it was awesome!

Drew

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful and supportive.

Anthony

1 Like

Still a ways to go Charleston Grey

Sugar Baby

4 Likes

Early Moonbeam

5 Likes

We just got back home from couple of weeks of vacation and expected to find 5-6 water melons on my 5 vines. Not so much. Just one melon on Sangria and nothing on others. Vines have flowers. Not that many female flowers. But it doesn’t take many female flowers right? Any guesses as to why no fruit? I Don’t think pollination is an issue since I’ve seen bumble bees roaming around.
More importantly, if I get more fruit now, is there enough time for it to ripen before frost? My first frost is probably around mid October but the kind of heat watermelon likes probably isn’t around after September.

1 Like

Your one Sangria should ripen, but don’t count on anything else. When
did you plant ?

1 Like

Planted everything around the same time early May. Sangrias were small store bought plants. Orangeglo I started from seeds.

1 Like

We often irrigated corn when I was growing up and it had an amazing effect on it. But rain had the same effect with zero labor , zero cost ,maybe it just seems better, lol

1 Like

Starting to find a little time to actually post some pics instead of just lurking about on this great forum.
My watermelons this year are at their lowest production ever but I should get about 10 to 15 nice size ones. This one is Raspa.

This is the whole melon patch, I planted my cantaloupes in with melons and maybe that has something to do with production?

13 Likes

Mixing melons with cantalopes shouldn’t impact your yield. I do it
all the time. Raspa is a good melon, you’ll enjoy it.

1 Like

Awesome garden. You really built something magnificent there. Will you be screening in at the left side of the photo with what I think looks like rabbit fence & tall?

Dax

2 Likes