Watermelon Growing

The conduit in the back is a row of tall spindle apples and the structure behind that is a grape enclosure with bird netting and chicken wire. I will redo that structure next spring to match the blueberry enclosure to the right.

I put my potted blueberries in the grape enclosure this spring but will move them back up by the house in the fall because the squirrels figured out how to get in.

2 Likes

Cool. An enclosure has to be one heck of a nice thing.

Dax

1 Like

I am thinking about enclosing my tall spindle apples as well. It is a must where I am living, I would get absolutely no fruit harvests if it were not for the enclosures I have.
I have some really nice apples that are starting to blush right now and I am concerned that they will be hit but all live traps are baited.

2 Likes

A picture of my first Sangria…

6 Likes

I grew raspa and truck buster last year and they were both awesome. This year nowhere near as many or size, not sure why but everything is growing differently than I am used to.

2 Likes

I know this isn’t an exotic one, but I planted 4 vines of crimson sweet this year and I just cut up our second watermelon. 2 more should be ready in a week or so. I grow them for my family, as I dislike it myself, but outside of the space issue, I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t grow them. I have had zero problems with them except for a powdery mildew issue that killed a bit of the plant but that was all. They’re easy to grow and supposedly taste much better than store-bought (I wouldn’t know, lol.)

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s experience, it gave me a lot of confidence in growing the watermelons!

3 Likes

attempting to grow some cantaloupe and watermelon. they don’t like our cool short summers so i got them in the greenhouse .growing slowly but i have 3 vines growing with flowers now . hopefully they can produce a few melons/ cantaloupe for me. don’t remember the cultivars but they’re for a short season.

1 Like

You can borrow some hot weather if you like. I have more than enough!

2 Likes

This has become one of those years, where past norms and patterns
just don’t apply to anything.

3 Likes

Update on my 15 gallon crimson sweet watermelon experiment.

Oldest melon…seems to be stuck at this size.

2nd melon…this one is much younger, and growing very quickly.

Size looks to be an issue so i would try a bigger pot next year. Everything is super healthy. Vines are very long.

4 Likes

I think I have some moon & stars showing up on my all sweet. Pretty cool

4 Likes

And T picked the first Charleston Grey. It is weeks ahead of everything else @thecityman

7 Likes

What a cute little boy and perfect looking Charleston Grey! Quite large, too. And yep, those are always my first melons to ripen…often even before sugar baby/blacktail mountain which are reputed to be some of the first to ripen. Well done!

2 Likes

Do you ever have traits of one melon show up
In the other like on the allsweet with the “moons”

1 Like

I’ve heard of such things, and we’ve had discussions here before about why I and another man I know who grows lots of different varieties don’t get crosses with mixed characteristics from each other. Both myself and a man across the street from me grow many different varieties side by side and neither of us has ever seen any new, mixed breeds (that we could detect). The fruit experts like fruitnut insist that it has to be happening and biology says it must. All I can tell you is me nor my neighbor have ever seen a melon we could say for sure was a cross. I save and replant some seeds, but mostly buy new ones so I understand why I’m not seeing crosses. The man across from me has been growing watermelons over 50 years and ALWAYS uses seeds from the year before…yet gets no obvious crosses or signs of mixed traits like you are talking about. I know this drives fruitnut crazy, and I get why, but I can only tell you what we’ve observed personally. Doesn’t mean you won’t see crosses, and it doesn’t mean we aren’t getting crosses that just don’t show obvious traits of both melons. Or maybe some varieties are different enough that they don’t cross well or at all. I can’t explain it. I can only answer your question by saying “no, I haven’t seen any traits from one melon show up in another”. You might?

1 Like

You don’t think those are little moons showing up on my striped melon in the first pic

1 Like

Somehow I missed that photo and post. Yea, I must say that does look like that thing could be crossed with a moon and stars. Which of course begs the question, did you save the seeds for it from last year? If so, did you grow both varieties last year? Even if you bought the seeds new, they could have come from a place that had both varieties cross. On the other hand, I’m not sure irregularities on a single melon is 100% confirmation of a cross…but like you said, it looks like it!

1 Like

Do all of the melons on that plant look like that? If they do, my guess would be that a moon & stars seed got mixed in with the allsweet seed; and you planted a M&S, thinking you planted an AS…

No they don’t and the plant doesn’t have the speckled leaves like moon and stars. Also moon and stars, at least the ones I am growing, are not striped

2 Likes

Those are just from two different packages of store bought seeds from grow organic

1 Like