What fruits did you eat today?

How do you like Spitz?

Magness

6 Likes

The texture you describe sounds good to me.

Hey Matt,

Esopus Spitzenburg was a good eating apple. Crisp and juicy. A nice balance of sweet/tart that tasted very clean. It has a hint of spice to it — like some catalogs mention — but nothing overwhelming. Maybe more citrusy than spicy. I wouldn’t call it a compelling apple, but it’s certainly an apple I could eat a whole bunch of.

I also had a Knobbed Russet this afternoon. Disappointing. It could’ve been this particularly one, but the texture was soft and mealy and not so fun to eat. I guess the flavor was okay. Maybe a bit of pineapple in there. But not as complex and aromatic as other russets I’ve tried.

5 Likes

You’d think with a fridge full of my own and CSA apples, I’d not buy any at the store.

But the marketing pulled me in, and I ended up with Pink Pearl in my basket the other day after seeing that they sectioned it and it was a pink-fleshed variety. These had a Honeybear brands label on them.

Come to find out:
Pink Pearl is an Albert Etter variety. My wife was particularly happy with the berry flavor. Her words, “You should graft this one.” So I guess I have to add Pink Pearl to my scion want list. Anyone have it?

English Golden Russet apple. Look at the beautiful color.

10 Likes

I like that color because I associate it with sweet/tart and high flavor. But then I haven’t grown too many like that. It’s an apple I’d buy in the store based on looks.

I agree, that English Russet plays to all of my preconceptions about what should be delicious.

Enjoyed some morning medlar.

They’re a novelty fruit that’s worth trying. The taste is something of a cross between applesauce and the brown sugar-like sweetness of a persimmon. The texture is like fig, but a bit denser and without the seedy crunch. Pleasant to eat but not something I’d choose over other fruits. If it were sold as a packaged paste though, I’d probably buy it occasionally.

7 Likes

Hi Sam, do you know what’s the exact date of pomegranate tasting at Wolfskill — is it Nov 5 or Nov 12? What time they start? Thanks!

I had some wild american persimmon today that were very good. The season’s winding down though with only a few trees still holding any fruit.

8 Likes

Stan,

tomorrow between 10-12.

I don’t know what they will be sampling. If your attending, I’ll be there with some veggie seeds if you do veggie gardening. Green corn, black amber sorghum etc

1 Like

Thank you, Sam! I don’t grow any veggies except for tomatoes.

Great photograph!

Thanks @mrsg47! Looking forward to more of yours from France.

Strawberries in November.Okay,a greenhouse does help.Brady.

5 Likes

Candycrisp

5 Likes

Ha, Candycrisp. Is that your tree? I have one that I am fighting. I had two apples this year and they were large and perfect. I am fighting it because it wants to grow straight up like a Bradford Pear despite my best efforts to tame it.

It is on unknown rootstock and got HUGE in my little dwarf apple orchard but is still not bearing like the dwarfs around it. I bought at a box store as an impulse buy. I’ll never learn…

If I had not whacked the top out it it would be 20 ft tall and about 6ft diameter.

1 Like

I added Candycrisp to my orchard this past spring. Tree is still small.

The fruit in the photo was grown by Kissel Hill Fruit Farm of Lititz, PA. This one was past its prime. The variety is delicious when eaten in October.

if it’s like my candycrisp, watch it and start training the branches to horizontal very soon.
Mine got over 1 inch and would not move before I knew it.