What fruits did you eat today?

Wow. I didn’t think Magnum Bonum would hang this late.

Well, I did get it from Botner so it could be a mis-ID. I will do a closer comparison when they come in. They do match the general descriptions pretty well.

Doctor Matthews is another apple I am not sure about, it is supposed to be August and it was early Oct for me. Hmm, I just looked it up and that one also came from Botner… That one I am now sure is wrong, I had it fruiting several years ago from a different source and it was more like Mcintosh whereas the new one is not at all. I really want to know what that one is now, it is an excellent apple.

1 Like

I ate some kaki persimmons I bought from the local market. I keep giving them a chance but they are just too one dimensional. They taste like overly sweet roasted chestnuts with soft apple texture. They aren’t bad or anything. Just seem a bit over hyped and not very interesting flavor.

1 Like

Enjoyed my first hidden rose apple. I was worried it’d be a gimmick. But it is a very good sweet/tart apple with good texture and dense flesh. A good one.

11 Likes

SMC_zone6 ,
Nice looking apple!

1 Like

SMC,
How long does it take for your tree to fruit? Look very good. Can you measure the brix?

I got these from Scotts Farm in VT. this weekend. I do have a graft of this on Bud 9 but no fruit yet. Scotts Farm, though, is awesome. I got a whole bunch of heirloom apples – Black Gilliflower, Hudson’s Golden Gem, Annas Reinette, Opalescent, Knobbed Russet, Esopus Spitzenburg, Calville Blanc d’Hiver – plus medlars, which should be bletted and ready to go in two weeks. It’s also where Rudyard Kipling wrote The Jungle Book. I’d certainly recommend it to anyone who has an opportunity to visit.

Here’s a video about the orchard:

1 Like

Ahh, Chronicle! I love the show, always learn something about New England.

Is it too late to visit the farm? If it is, I will take a trip next year. Thanks for the info.

This was the last weekend of their season. They had four inches of snow on the ground.

Yeah, that pinkish color reminded me of the ripened Guava flesh.

Tony

1 Like

Its difficult for me to reconcile the idea that that apple has a good texture with the appearance of the bite. The texture looks like a baked apple or over-ripe peach.

2 Likes

I can see that. But I enjoy the texture of a lot of different types of apples – from the hard, dense flesh of Arkansas Black to the champagne-like fuzzy crispness of Zestar! Not everything needs to be as breaking as Honeycrisp to be considered good textured. This apple was hard, crisp, and juicy, all good qualities to me.

6 Likes

How do you like Spitz?

Magness

6 Likes

The texture you describe sounds good to me.

Hey Matt,

Esopus Spitzenburg was a good eating apple. Crisp and juicy. A nice balance of sweet/tart that tasted very clean. It has a hint of spice to it — like some catalogs mention — but nothing overwhelming. Maybe more citrusy than spicy. I wouldn’t call it a compelling apple, but it’s certainly an apple I could eat a whole bunch of.

I also had a Knobbed Russet this afternoon. Disappointing. It could’ve been this particularly one, but the texture was soft and mealy and not so fun to eat. I guess the flavor was okay. Maybe a bit of pineapple in there. But not as complex and aromatic as other russets I’ve tried.

5 Likes

You’d think with a fridge full of my own and CSA apples, I’d not buy any at the store.

But the marketing pulled me in, and I ended up with Pink Pearl in my basket the other day after seeing that they sectioned it and it was a pink-fleshed variety. These had a Honeybear brands label on them.

Come to find out:
Pink Pearl is an Albert Etter variety. My wife was particularly happy with the berry flavor. Her words, “You should graft this one.” So I guess I have to add Pink Pearl to my scion want list. Anyone have it?

English Golden Russet apple. Look at the beautiful color.

10 Likes

I like that color because I associate it with sweet/tart and high flavor. But then I haven’t grown too many like that. It’s an apple I’d buy in the store based on looks.

I agree, that English Russet plays to all of my preconceptions about what should be delicious.