What fruits did you eat today?

Enjoyed some morning medlar.

They’re a novelty fruit that’s worth trying. The taste is something of a cross between applesauce and the brown sugar-like sweetness of a persimmon. The texture is like fig, but a bit denser and without the seedy crunch. Pleasant to eat but not something I’d choose over other fruits. If it were sold as a packaged paste though, I’d probably buy it occasionally.

7 Likes

Hi Sam, do you know what’s the exact date of pomegranate tasting at Wolfskill — is it Nov 5 or Nov 12? What time they start? Thanks!

I had some wild american persimmon today that were very good. The season’s winding down though with only a few trees still holding any fruit.

8 Likes

Stan,

tomorrow between 10-12.

I don’t know what they will be sampling. If your attending, I’ll be there with some veggie seeds if you do veggie gardening. Green corn, black amber sorghum etc

1 Like

Thank you, Sam! I don’t grow any veggies except for tomatoes.

Great photograph!

Thanks @mrsg47! Looking forward to more of yours from France.

Strawberries in November.Okay,a greenhouse does help.Brady.

5 Likes

Candycrisp

5 Likes

Ha, Candycrisp. Is that your tree? I have one that I am fighting. I had two apples this year and they were large and perfect. I am fighting it because it wants to grow straight up like a Bradford Pear despite my best efforts to tame it.

It is on unknown rootstock and got HUGE in my little dwarf apple orchard but is still not bearing like the dwarfs around it. I bought at a box store as an impulse buy. I’ll never learn…

If I had not whacked the top out it it would be 20 ft tall and about 6ft diameter.

1 Like

I added Candycrisp to my orchard this past spring. Tree is still small.

The fruit in the photo was grown by Kissel Hill Fruit Farm of Lititz, PA. This one was past its prime. The variety is delicious when eaten in October.

if it’s like my candycrisp, watch it and start training the branches to horizontal very soon.
Mine got over 1 inch and would not move before I knew it.

Horrible, supermarket raspberries from Calif. Sour. Tossed them into pancakes!

2 Likes

I was surprised to find a few ripe alpine strawberries today. They kind of grow like a small bush, and the berries were probably protected from the frost because they were inside. I planted this plant last year. They are supposed to reseed year to year, but it looks like the original plant just came back from last year. I might do a whole raised bed of these next year. They don’t seem to produce heavily, but strawberries in November is pretty cool. I also found two ripe raspberries still hanging on.

About a week ago, I found the most beautiful and delicious single Fall Gold raspberry hiding in some weeds. I was so happy to eat that single raspberry.

3 Likes

After reading that I checked and found 2 ripe raspberries. Now the only thing left outside is New Zealand spinach, parsley and one pepper plant.

Does making jam count? Made some Pomegranate jam and molasses.
About to make Cranberry and Raspberry jam in the AM.

I was happy today to find a lone Yates apple high up that the deer missed, and several small but tasty figs. I also had exactly one kiwi to harvest, the deer I think ate all the others (there were not many due to a freeze).

2 Likes

Oh, I had forgotten the real find of yesterday: my first che fruit! There was exactly one ripe fruit hanging on the tree. It was sweet but no tartness at all and was boring in flavor. If thats what the tree is going to be producing, it will not be staying around.

4 Likes

If you have enough try making a preserve. It will be unique.

1 Like