What fruits did you eat today?

I had some I didn’t bag that were ok too so I don’t know if the stocking helped or not

You definitely has low pest pressure. Lucky…
With two insecticide sprays. I still saw a few PC bite marks and stinking damage.

1 Like

I have both stink bugs and pc, probably two thirds of the peaches were affected. Of well that leaves a third for me😊

1 Like

My beautiful wife made rhubarb/ honeyberry pie, it was excellent!

6 Likes

Visiting family in Lititz, PA and stumbled upon a blooming American persimmon near Lititz Run. What an incredible perfume their flowers produce! Like the wildest smelliest tropical orchids!

I also found several Juneberries loaded with fruit as well as some mulberries absolutely LOADED!!! I had several handfuls until I could eat no more. Now the fibrous seeds are gurgling in my stomach. I expect to stay regular this week.

11 Likes

I was impatient and picked a “not quite ripe” Lapins cherry today. The tree is netted but the frame is pretty sorry and I wanted to try one just in case it fails. It was medium maroon color and I was very happy with the flavor. I can’t believe I picked a decent cherry this early. The rest of the cherries are still a brighter red.

2 Likes

You might want to ration out the harvest. Mine are best some time after they turn dark color, real dark. I’d say two weeks or more after full dark if you can wait that long for the last ones.

1 Like

Matt,

Those persimmon flowers are male because of the cluster of three.

Tony

2 Likes

Just picked a few Apache blackberries. Just barely ripe, but couldn’t resist. Other than Alpine strawberries we brought with us, these are the first fruits from our own property!

2 Likes

Ate two small Stripe June apples.

1 Like

Ate a Lumpy Bumpy Orange. It was pretty good.

1 Like

Found some gogi berries on clearance at Lowe’s. Tried a couple of berries, decided I didn’t need a
Gogi berry plant.

7 Likes

Today I walked the orchard with my daughter. I told her that all of our cherries were taken by birds. She was disappointed. She scanned the combo cherry and found a single Monty left hanging that the birds hadn’t stolen. It was a little underripe but I told her that we were going to eat it regardless. We split a single slightly underripe sour cherry and I loved every bit of it. It was sour but had the unmistakable flavor of Monty

11 Likes

A special moment.

2 Likes

So sweet. Glad that you instill the love of fruit and gardening to her at an early age.

3 Likes

The last peach of the season, no spray, not bagged, just not a lot of insect pressure this year???

6 Likes

How about what I didn’t eat? I was craving a nice juicy watermelon, but at $10.99 for one it was too pricey for me.

2 Likes

Love that- “grocery store fruit lottery”. Great description!!

4 Likes

We’ve been having fun picking wild cherries from a big tree back at the south end of our property. Noticed it blooming during cherry blossom time and hubby kindly mowed access to it. They’re wild so not super sweet but still a cherry flavor that I enjoy. Just tiny and of course a poor pit/ flesh ratio. But. No disease or fungal problems for me to deal with so I’ll take it;) will try to take and post a pic tomorrow.

2 Likes

I really hope you will post a photo because the idea of eating a wild cherry seems very unusual to me. The wild cherries we have here - I think they are Black Cherries- have tiny, tiny bit of “meat” and are absolutely horrible. Yours must be a different type? Then again I haven’t tried one since I was a kid so maybe I need to give them another chance!?!

2 Likes