What fruits did you eat today?

The rain was a little hard on them , but still good flavor, some are better than others.

That looked good. I just half way through my peach bagging. You’ve already harvested yours!!!

I used footsox on peaches on year, did not work. I was not sure if bugs laid eggs through the footsox or I put the sox on after eggs were already laid. All peaches in the sox were ruined that year.

1 Like

Store bought rainier cherries, absolutely fantastic, and they better be for 12.99 a pound! Very nice acid sweet balance on them. One of my favorite peices of fruit.

7 Likes

At that price they better be good…!!

2 Likes

Wow, at least they were good. We don’t grow sweet cherries well in my area but the supermarkets have them located all over the store. We are fortunate to have them at 2.99 pound. No Rainier at our stores just the ones that look like Bing.

I had some I didn’t bag that were ok too so I don’t know if the stocking helped or not

You definitely has low pest pressure. Lucky…
With two insecticide sprays. I still saw a few PC bite marks and stinking damage.

1 Like

I have both stink bugs and pc, probably two thirds of the peaches were affected. Of well that leaves a third for me😊

1 Like

My beautiful wife made rhubarb/ honeyberry pie, it was excellent!

6 Likes

Visiting family in Lititz, PA and stumbled upon a blooming American persimmon near Lititz Run. What an incredible perfume their flowers produce! Like the wildest smelliest tropical orchids!

I also found several Juneberries loaded with fruit as well as some mulberries absolutely LOADED!!! I had several handfuls until I could eat no more. Now the fibrous seeds are gurgling in my stomach. I expect to stay regular this week.

11 Likes

I was impatient and picked a “not quite ripe” Lapins cherry today. The tree is netted but the frame is pretty sorry and I wanted to try one just in case it fails. It was medium maroon color and I was very happy with the flavor. I can’t believe I picked a decent cherry this early. The rest of the cherries are still a brighter red.

2 Likes

You might want to ration out the harvest. Mine are best some time after they turn dark color, real dark. I’d say two weeks or more after full dark if you can wait that long for the last ones.

1 Like

Matt,

Those persimmon flowers are male because of the cluster of three.

Tony

2 Likes

Just picked a few Apache blackberries. Just barely ripe, but couldn’t resist. Other than Alpine strawberries we brought with us, these are the first fruits from our own property!

2 Likes

Ate two small Stripe June apples.

1 Like

Ate a Lumpy Bumpy Orange. It was pretty good.

1 Like

Found some gogi berries on clearance at Lowe’s. Tried a couple of berries, decided I didn’t need a
Gogi berry plant.

7 Likes

Today I walked the orchard with my daughter. I told her that all of our cherries were taken by birds. She was disappointed. She scanned the combo cherry and found a single Monty left hanging that the birds hadn’t stolen. It was a little underripe but I told her that we were going to eat it regardless. We split a single slightly underripe sour cherry and I loved every bit of it. It was sour but had the unmistakable flavor of Monty

11 Likes

A special moment.

2 Likes

So sweet. Glad that you instill the love of fruit and gardening to her at an early age.

3 Likes