What fruits did you eat today?

Were the guavas sweet or sour? Did you eat the skin?

Well, I would not judge a fruit based on a sample from Walmart.

6 Likes

There are several kind of guavas. I like the very large, light green, crunchy guava, sold in Asian market. They need to be fresh. They are not cheap $4.99 a pound.

I do not like eating soft, ripe gauva, no matter what varieties. What I see in supermarket here are small, light yellow ones. People here seems to like guavas soft. Ripe guava has a stronger aroma but the ripened texture of it is what turns me off.

We eat guava dip in a mixure of ground chili pepper, salt and sugar. That goes to tell you that those large, green guava are not that sweet to begin with but it is fun to eat.

The guava I ate smelled really nice but were horrible in ever other way. But I understand theree are many types of guava. I think the ones I tried were similar to Kevins.

@castanea - The guava I tried really werenā€™t sweet or sour, but if I had to say Iā€™d put them just a tiny bit on the sour side but barely. I did start by eating the skin but that was the worst part of all so later bites I took I avoided it. Are you suppossed to eat skin? Iā€™m guessing no, but I only took one bite so that wasnā€™t why I found them so bad.

@Stan That is a VERY VERY good and fair statement (not to judge a fruit based on walmart). But most fruits I try from the grocery store - even though they are a long way from what a ā€œrealā€ version (fresh, tree ripened, etc) taste like, they arenā€™t just awful like this was.

@mamuang THat is very helpful information. Iā€™m glad to know that there are some guava types that are very different from the ones I tried. Mine were the ones you described- small, light yellow, and quite soft. And just like both you and @speedster1 said, the hard part to understand was that they actually smelled greatā€¦and very strong. You could smell them all over that whole part of the store and thatā€™s what tricked me into trying them. I also found it interesting to hear how you eat them (chilli pepper, salt, sugar). That certainly doesnā€™t sound like any normal fruit!

Anyway, this was fun and I appreciate the comments. If I see a different kind of guava Iā€™ll still give them a chance based on all your commentsā€¦but no more of this kind for me!!! ha

We like to eat spicy foods including with fruit :smile: We eat green mangoes with the same dip. I like most fruit, some more, some less.

How about the poor people that buy a tomato from Walmart and have never tasted one from the garden, talk about a spitter!

1 Like

The late-season Murcott tangors coming out of Florida (marketed under the misnomer ā€œHoney tangerineā€) are unbelievably delicious right now. Rich rich rich flavor! They make an incredible juice over ice. Get them at the grocery store if/while you still can.

I saw ripe plums in the local Walmart yesterday that clearly said USA on a sticker on each one. Where in the USA could possibly already have ripe plums? Even the warmest areas of California arenā€™t picking plums already, are they? These were red, they had other similar ones which all said ā€œChileā€ on them. Iā€™m suspicious of these usa plums!

I ate a green d anjou yesterday from the store, still my favorite pear at the store. Wish I had some home grown to compare it to. Lost my Bartlett to a late frost

Tried growing Potomac pear yet? They say it is the best Dā€™Anjou substitute. My grafted branch is still small.

1 Like

I wish Matt, I did not get Potomac scion this year. It is on my wish list for sure. I added ayers, which I think will be a sweet melting pear , but I will sure continue the search for Potomac.

Here is my first no spray peach this year from my old tree. This is the good side, the other had a pc in it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, but thatā€™s how no spray peaches go here. A little watery but our rain has been measured in feet this spring so that is to be expected.

11 Likes

Ate my first Mara de Bois strawberries grown in my pseudo gutter system. Our other fruit trees are just blooming now, so these greenhouse berries were a treat.

3 Likes

With all the fancy citrus available today, the old juice orange, Valencia, doesnā€™t get much attention these days. Last night I bought a bag of them at the local Wal-mart (not known for great fruit, of course!). This morning, still in a sleepy stupor, I cut one up to eat. I took one bite and couldnā€™t believe it. I had almost given up on ever getting good ones again. The last several bags I have bought were all just really bland. Not terrible, but just not much taste (or sweetness). This bag is incredible!!! The label says ā€œSequoiaā€ (for sequoia orange company, Tera Bella, CA) and says they were US grown. All I know is they are the sweetest, juiciest oranges of any kind that Iā€™ve had in years (yes, years). Its wonderful surprises like this that make me keep playing the grocery store fruit lottery. Most of the time I loose or break even in terms of what I get for my money, but once in a while I hit the jackpot like this bag of Valencia oranges. So if you see these, or just want to take a chance, try that plain 'ole bag of Valencia oranges you always overlook while searching for those fancy varieties of citrus! Valencia- they arenā€™t just for juice!

1 Like

Got some nectarines from Costco yesterday. They are slightly soft, have that real peach/nectarine smell, and juicy enough they drip, with a great acid/sweet flavor. Best nectarines Iā€™ve gotten from the store for a long timeā€¦

A few more peach pics, I chilled the peach in the stocking and ate it tonight, what a perfect peach. One of those a year would keep me growing fruit.

11 Likes

Picked this morning. This year they are big and sweet.

11 Likes

Nice! What variety and how old is the tree? I suppose all the rain yā€™all have had hasnā€™t washed out the flavor?

1 Like

It is an unknown, was supposed to be a late freestone but it is an early cling peach. I have had the tree 20 years