What fruits did you eat today?

I ate three huge blackberries today! I must say the pictures of all of the plums, peaches and nectarines are driving me a bit buggy! The fruit is so beautiful. And now I don’t know how long I’ll have to wait until I have my next trees. I want to eat every peach I have seen photographed. While at the supermarket the other day, they were selling ‘Eastern’ peaches, vs Peaches. Did not understand the signs. They both had zero fragrance and were hard as rocks, same goes for the plums. Ugh!

2 Likes

Scott,has yours been growing long enough to get an idea of when they ripen?
I’ve looked back on some photos taken of mine,the past 3-4 years and most show the fruit still on the tree around mid August.This area did have some hot days in May and June,along with the normal Summer heat to help them grow faster. Brady

My tree is fruiting for the first time this year so no data yet. They look like 1-2 weeks from now at this point so more like your usual ripening time.

Picked another Lavina–3 left…i’ll give them another week.

left to right

Superior, Lavina and Alderman. The Alderman was not completely ripe (and there are some bigger then this), but it had a huge bird peck on it so i pulled it (bees are attacking the bird pecks now…nice).

If i was to describe Lavina i would say its caramel flavored. This one wasn’t as sugary sweet as the 1st one i ate, but that one was in a prime sun location and this branch is hidden under some large Alderman branches so it only catches some sun (i’ve thinned a ton and its better then it was earlier in the summer)… Superior are fantastic again. If this thing could have better skin, it would be my favorite…they also just fall from the tree when soft so you need to watch them.

4 Likes

Flavor queen and geo pride pluots. The darker the geo pride get the better they taste, they are getting to be very good.

1 Like

The first Elberta peaches are ripe. Sunburned Ashmeads Kernal, the seeds are just starting to color but the apples taste good.

2 Likes

Many years ago I bought an old fashioned Kieffer pear. They came from the Arbor Day society. The first year it produced pears I nearly top worked it because the quality was poor and the fruit was small. Several years later these are the finest pears we grow. They are small and will not keep so commercial production is unlikely. We love them! These are not a Kieffer and it’s unlikely we will ever determine what they are. They are completely free from grit except near the core. They are melting, sugary and delicious rivaling Comice, Clapp’s favorite and other truly excellent pears. We have hundreds of these pears this year and we feel very fortunate to have them!

9 Likes

Awesome pears, Clark! You are the prince of pears!

1 Like

Left to right:
Sanchez apple (possibly Sansa apple); Gingergold apple; Harmony peaches.
Foreground:
Harvest Queen pears.

All grown from local orchards.

4 Likes

Matt,
Wish I could send you a couple of these to taste! They would never make the shipment. The first 2-3 years this pear produces it’s a real disappointment. When it started to taste like it really is let’s say I’ve been very impressed! These pears make anyone look like the prince of pears but that crown belongs to this tree and not to me!

1 Like

Unknown Pluot/Plumcot. Was in the Pluot section at Albertson’s and the look was just too much for me to resist. Did a quick search and maybe it’s Flavor Pop Plumcot? There was a Family Tree Farms display nearby, but these didn’t even have stickers on them. Crazy good for store bought Plums/Pluots/Plumcots. Might have to save the seed on this one just to see what grows out.

8 Likes

Looks good. Could be Marvel pluot as well.

1 Like

I had a Zestar! from my tree that I picked a week too early and let it sit on the counter for the last almost 2 weeks.

It is much improved relative to its counterparts that were under-ripe, though I think the acid is higher than it would be if I had picked it off of the tree.

It is interesting that this particular example has some of that “Cherry candy” flavor more typical of the other U MN variety Sweet Sixteen. Also the ripest part on the edge had the characteristic “brown sugar” flavor that Zestar! has when they get falling-of-the-tree ripe. Interesting… Zestar! is still one of my favorites.

3 Likes

Honeycrisp apple, first ones off my tree. Large size good taste. It isn’t my favorite apple, but still good and my wife loves them so it’s a win.

4 Likes

Mollie apple and Lane Muscadine. If your looking for a mostly sweet apple for the southern states give Mollie a try. My Lane Muscadine is ripening and from a small sample it is a very good grape. Sweet and crunchy as advertised. Bill

1 Like

I only have one Zestar on my tree and after you posted I thought I would pick it and give it a try. Its nice but not quite ripe yet. I’m letting it ripen more on the counter with a bite out of it, will see how it improves.

… I am now eating some really great Kosui pears, outstanding Early Crawford and Foster peaches, the last few Zin Dai peaches (my last squirrel wave took most of them sigh), plus various early apples.

2 Likes

I ate the last Lavina this evening. The flesh was the color of apricot. Very good. Alderman plums are very good this year too. The kids like the Alderman more then the Flavor Grenade.

3 Likes

I enjoyed Star Brite watermelon, Savor cantaloupe, Strawberry Verte fig, Flavor King pluot, Crimson Royale pluot, and Princess grapes today. They were all good but Flavor King most memorable.

4 Likes

When did you first get ripe FK? I figure mine have a few more weeks yet. Shooting for that first week of Sept…

I’ve been picking FK for several weeks. They are very spread out this yr. Not fully ripe until they separate easily from the stem.