What fruits did you eat today?

Had my first Swenson’s Red Grape! I thought it was ‘Hope’ because it stayed green for so long. They are just starting to turn red and taste delish! Very, very, sweet with one small seed in each! Wish I had more clusters. This is only its first year fruiting.

7 Likes

My Althan’s gage has completely different color, somewhat red/pink. If it ripens for you at the same time it might be Oullins Gage. In my zone 7A Althan’s Gage and Oullins (got two trees) are ripening at the beginning of August (5-10) and Greengage just about now. There are many gages I am not familiar with so it can be one of those as well.

The ripening wasn’t at exactly the same time. The inherited tree was most likely bought at a big box store or general nursery, that’s why I assume it is just “Green Gage”, or at least labeled that way.

The Althan’s is from a branch I grafted onto a peach tree. I may have Oullins on that as well as another gage, maybe Catherine, which never really got sweet and ripened later than any of them. It may be that roots affect the relative ripening. Our weather has been unusual as well.

I had a very big Flavor Queen…thing was a monster (must of been because there were so few of them). Good, nothing special. Rot magnet, but at least the birds leave them alone (color). Another ripe Flavor King–FK has a very unique flavor. Fruit punch? not sure how to describe it. I need to share some with some more people to get their opinions. I might pick the rest of them soon and ripen them off the tree bcause the FK are bee magnets.

Couple more peaches to ripen and that is about it for this year.

Harvesting China Pearl and Old Mixon Free peaches for the 1st time. . Both varieties produce nice big clean pretty peaches. The China Pearl were a little disappointing, they were on the bland side, not particularly sweet or acidic. The Old Mixon were sweeter but not on the sweetness level of the O’Henry I just ate. I have not eaten many white peaches before now, maybe they just don’t develop the sweetness of a classic yellow peach.

10 Likes

Beautiful!!!

Chris, my Oldmixon are coming in at 15 brix which is standard for a good peach in my orchard. O’Henry is a bit higher if I recall. White and yellow are different kinds of fruits taste-wise, its almost like comparing honeydew to cantaloupe.

Wow, I would have thought that all the Swenson’s Reds would have come and gone. I made jelly out of my last ones on 7/21/16. We are in the same zone. Must be the blooming date. I’ve got 4 vines planted in 2012. How many do you have?

Mine are only three years old this spring and I only have one! They surely are sweet though. Great taste!

Those apples are amazing looking. Do you know the variety?

Sweet Mollie apple.

Mrs. G, I only posted photos of peaches, maybe you ment to send this to someone else???

Yep sorry.

1 Like

Had one lone Contender peach on a first year tree. Picked it yesterday, brix was 16.5. This was the first time I tried one, very good. Sweet and a little tangy.

1 Like

That is one i plan on adding.

I ate a few dapple dandy. They were better then i remember. Kids really enjoyed them. Not many this year for some reason.

Ate more Flavor King. About a dozen left. They will go fast.

4 Likes

Several plums
From top to bottom
English plum Victoria - I am not a big fan of those but can be eaten when really soft, otherwise very watery.
I am sure many of you are familiar with those.
Toptaste euro plum - semi freenstone, this is pure sugar, brix in the thirties is common (I heard even about over 40). Used a lot by home destillers
Topfive - freestone. The smallest one of the three but packed with flavor, I just cannot get enough of it.
It ripens gradually since the end of July. Great piece of fruit for homegrowers

6 Likes

Is the Dapple Dandy in a pot or in ground. I’m in zone 7 and mine don’t ripen until September.

Potted…that was a smaller fruit that the bees started attacking…only a few DD this year. Good, not great…my wife likes them better then Flavor King…go figure. Everything is done here outside of a few peaches that are still ripening up.

Personally…i found Flavor King the best of the pluots/plums…but any tree ripe fruit is pretty damn good.

1 Like

Visiting family in Pennsylvania. My late grandfather’s Concord grapes:

4 Likes

My Concord grapes are going wild this year. I have a huge crop. But will be away during time of harvest so the birds will get them. Oh well.

1 Like