What fruits did you eat today?

Patty those are lovely! Thanks so much for the information.

After about 2 months of storage my Arkansas Black taste great. Still firm with a good tart/sweet balance. Glad I saved a couple of bags in my refrigerator. Looking forward to being able to have enough Pink Lady and Goldrush for additional winter apples.

Beautiful tree.

Not bad for apples in Alabama! Good for you; you deserve it.

1 Like

Today I had some guava. Tastes like a spritely strawberry, with a zillion hard seeds inside.

I also drank several glasses of tangerine and tangelo juice dilluted with water and ice. So good!

I moved some plants into my basement. There I found my Bronze Paradiso fig had doubled in size and quasi-ripened!

Tasted like a watermelon with almost no sweetness. I bet it would have tasted a lot better if I had heat and sunshine to give it. Any fig at the end of December is fun. Look at the color!

I also drank some dilluted Montmorency cherry juice.

This time of year, I crave rich fruits and juices. How fortunate we can get citrus, stonefruits, and tropicals shipped to our grocery from Florida, California, and Chile this time of year.

4 Likes

I pulled a couple wild apples out of the fridge today, we picked them about the first week of October. They still have a better crunch than most grocery store apples, and have developed a rather strong grape candy flavor! Headed back for scionwood when the snow melts.

5 Likes

I had forgotten about a bag of Unknown Gold apple I picked August 19th and stored in the refrigerator. After about 4 1/2 months these apple were in good condition. They are very sweet and still have some good crunch.

Today at Sam’s Club I noticed a new apple variety I’ve never seen or heard of. Autumn Glory. Advertised as having a hint of cinnamon and Carmel. They had a nice texture and were juicy. Purely sweet with no acid at all. Overall decent but not enough flavor to bother getting them again. $2/lb.

1 Like

Just ate D’Anjou from the grocery.

The skin on this one was tough and bitter (I spit that part out) but the inside flesh was sweet, melting, acidulous, and luscious.

Pears can be heartbreakers-- variable in quality. But when you get a good one, you remember why you fell in love.

I’m gonna go grab another…

1 Like

This has been a banner hear for D’Anjou pears. I just bought another bag full, waiting for them to soften just a wee bit. But, all D’Anjou pears I’ve bought from the store this year have been exceptionally good. Wish I could grow D’Anjou here. Too much of a FB magnet for my yard, sadly.

2 Likes

Fresh-squeezed Florida dark red grapefruit juice on ice.

5 Likes

Just had fresh-squeezed Page Mandarin hybrid juice this morning. Nothing compares. Best citrus juice ever! :tangerine:

2 Likes

I tried some cherimoya today and didn’t care for it at all. I’m hoping this one wasn’t ripe or that it had some other problem because it tasted terrible – bitter and sour. The texture wasn’t very appealing either and it was riddled with seeds. Mark Twain once referred to cherimoya as “the most delicious fruit known to men.” But I think he got this one wrong. Not fun.

I also ate two pom wonderful pomegranates. Definitely a great fruit, although they sure are a time-commitment to prepare. It’s too bad we only get this one type in my area because I’d really enjoy trying some of the other varieties with different seed types and flavor profiles. I might end up trying to grow one in a container.

1 Like

Steve,

I had the same experience with the cherimoya I ate from the grocery. Pungent and nasty. Perhaps we got bad specimens.

It is related to pawpaws, which I consider only good for a 3-week ripening window fresh off the tree. 48 hours after picking, they are too far gone for my taste.

My father-in-law says fresh cherimoya in Chile is wonderful.

The Cherimoya looks old. My guess is that it is old, but was also picked prematurely so it never fully ripened. The worst of both worlds. Fresh cherimoya is excellent.

1 Like

I never like cherimoya because of the texture. Of that family, I like custard apple (interchangeable to sugar apple) the most.

Here’s the description: " The custard apple plant is a large shrub belonging to the annonacae family. It is native to the tropical rain forests of Central America and naturalized in many parts of the world, spreading along the tropical stretches from South America to Africa and Asia.

Custard apple is globular, round to heart-shaped fruit with polygonal indentations on its surface. Many cultivars exist, and depending upon the cultivar type there can be green, brown, yellow, maroon fruits.

Custard apple features tough, outer skin. Inside, individual arils consist of cream-white sheath enveloping single, glossy, deep-brown color seeds. The flesh just underneath its surface has granular texture. Skin and seeds are inedible and discarded. Its flavor described as reminiscence of mangosteen, sweet and pleasantly tangy, melts inside the mouth.

Custard apple is smaller in size than cherimoya (A.cherimola), Pond apple (A.glabra) and soursop (A. muricata) but a bit larger than sugar apple (A. squamosa). Oftentimes, Sugar apple termed interchangeably to custard apple."

2 Likes

Black sapotes. First time I have ever eaten them. Not memorable. Very mild flavor. Very small amount of sweetness. Nothing bad about them but nothing very good either. I see now why they are frequently used mixed in with other foods in the areas where they are commonly grown. They’re not really sapotes though. They’re tropical persimmons with dark brown/black flesh. Tropical fruits are frequently very sweet so it seems odd that these are not nearly as sweet as temperate persimmons.

3 Likes

Ooh, have been wanting to try one. I will start keeping an eye out now that they’re in season. Have heard they taste like chocolate pudding to axle grease and super curious!

They’re like chocolate pudding without the chocolate and the sugar. They’re really not bad but they need more flavor and more sweetness. I have tried 4 of them now and the worst was totally bland. The best had a little bit of sweetenss.

1 Like

Tried these apple chips for the first time today. They were actually really tasty! They are thinly sliced actual apples with peeling still on them. They’re nothing like the dried apples we’ve all had before. These are really crispy and have cinnamon and sugar on them. Good to eat, but full disclosure- they are no more healthy than potato chips- they are fried and have sugar and corn syrup on them. a 1 oz serving has 7 grams of fat and 140 calories. So this isn’t really the kind of food this thread is all about, but technically it is fruit and in case anyone had seen them and wondered, I thought I’d post a quick review. They are also ridiculously over-priced, btw! But as far as non-healthy snacks go, I prefer them to potato chips.

2 Likes