What fruits did you eat today?

Those things look disgusting and very unappetizing. Can’t just a book by it’s cover but if you could those would be thrown in the compost pile.

I’m 100% with @speedster1 - I’d have a hard time enjoying those with my eyes open! And I’m an extremely open minded eater who often consumes things others find highly objectionable. Between the appearance and your description of the taste, I doubt I’ll be trying to grow any black sapotes (not that I could in zone 6b/7a anyway). But I’m glad you posted them and its always fun seeing unusual fruits and hearing people describe their taste. So thanks for posting…even it they don’t look too good to me and Dave!

Just imagine they’re a regular orange astringent persimmon that has softened up. Then take away the sweetness and the flavor and change the color from orange to brown.

They are super easy to make!
Just slice about an 1/8" thick, place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees until done, 3-4 hours. Or bake at 200 degrees for half an hour (this is an important step with a dehydrator) then put in a dehydrator until crispy when cool about 8 hours. No sugar or frying. Try different apples, our favorite are Fuji’s. We buy them on sale and eat them faster than we can make them.

You can add cinnamon alone or with sugar if you want, but I like them plain.

That’s awesome, Chris! Never thought about making them! All the apples I’ve had from a dehydrator and sun dried both have been somewhat soft. But it sounds like you cut them thinner and the oven thing sounds promising too. I’d be tempted to dust mine with sugar and cinnamon, but I like your healthier ambition. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just run my apples in my dehydrator until they are crisp. One year my dried fruit molded so I decided to up the dryness and found I prefer it that way. Nothing beats home-dried apples if you are starting with nice high brix fruit. My kids will eat a bushels worth of apples in a few days that way.

4 Likes

Didnt eat them today, but last year ^^

They where so good!

PawPaws:

If someone gives me PawPaws they disappear really quickly!

All of them had a different taste and were delicious.

Quince:

I ate the whole quince raw … i couldnt stop!

Fruit size was around 700g.

Nice Star Fruit flavor.

3 Likes

I’m still eating ‘Kishu’ mandarins and they are still excellent! I’ve been eating them since October! Oranges are at peak right now as well. Crazy, crazy fruit season.

3 Likes

Canistel. I love these. I’ve had them before and never get tired of them, but that’s probably because I don’t have them very often. The texture is dry and dense and described by most as similar to a boiled egg which is why they are also called “egg fruit”, but I think the texture is more like a really dense brownie. The flavor is nothing like an egg. It’s really hard to describe but it may come closest to a sweet potato but with a milder flavor.

3 Likes

Where are you fruit hunting? You’re stepping up the game! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought these online through Amazon.

I had to pass on Opal today at the grocery store, even though they are highly rated by folks here, the ones on display were starting to shrivel and were fairly soft.

I did pick up an apple called “Top Secret” or labeled that way by Honeybear Brands USA. It must be really top secret because I couldn’t find a word about it on the web. It tasted like a Hawkeye Delicious apple. So I wonder if they are passing off the original or old strain of Delicious as a new fruit and charging $2.99/pound for it?

Dates. The first two are the varieties Khudri and Safawi from the Arabian peninsula. Khudri was so-so today but the Safawi were excellent, almost like little drops of chewy caramel.Next were some Sagai dates stuffed with orange peel. I don’t know why this combination tastes so good but it always does. Finally we have some dates covered with white chocolate and stuffed with a rose flavored cream. Decadent but really good. The rose smell is amazing.

4 Likes

Autumn Glory from Walmart. Juicy but wouldn’t buy again. Not much flavor.

I almost forgot. Had a get together at my place to say farewell (for this season) to football’s team of the decades, the Oakland Raiders. Knowing that one of my guests was coming from Indio, the heart of date country, I asked them to swing by Hadley’s and pick up some dates on their way in. They brought back some Medjools that were like heavenly caramel. They brought Deglets as well, which were very good but simply don’t measure up to Medjools in my opinion. The Deglets will be used in walnut/date cookies after the Medjools are gone. Love me some dates!

2 Likes

Ate three small apples today?

Jonagold picked 20160817. Mostly a sweet apple a little past its prime.
Mollie picked 20160811. Mostly sweet a little past its prime.
Empire picked 20160916 sweet with just a hint of tart. Best taste of the three.

Yesterday I ate a grocery store Pink Lady and the last of my CCTC and Pong Koa mandarins from my SE TX orchard. CCTCs were as always: small, seedy but intense sweet-tart flavor. The Pong Koas were just dynamite this year, super sweet and delicious (~17 brix, which is excellent for this site). Still have some Meyer lemons I brought home which were the size of grapefruits this year. The wife says everything really is bigger in Texas!

2 Likes

Found an apple today that is new to me. Juici, exterior looks like a cross of Braeburn and gala. Interior yellow flesh, mealy, and a strong spicy(cinnamon) flavor, almost tastes like apple pie. Sweet/sour mix was wrong too. It wasn’t drip down your chin juicy. Almost astringent sour.

2 Shasta Gold mandarins, 1 Shiranui (Dekopon, “Sumo” mandarin, 1 Page mandarin hybrid in front with the apical ring (and my Page are all gone, boo!) More Dekopons coming, they are ripening on the early side, lots of Shasta Gold mandarins still. Some Clemnules coming and some Seedless Kishu. Many other citrus coming along, too many to list, lol! Fun to see the different shapes of the mandarins.

3 Likes

How do you like your Shasta Gold? Where did you get the Dekopon tree?