What fruits did you eat today?

I am surprised those are ripening at the same time for you, they were always 2-3 weeks apart for me. PG was also always smaller. But, they were also always covered with scab.

I had my first redhaven peach of the year. Something knocked it out of the tree so I sat it on the counter 3 days. The rest are a little ways off still but It was pretty good, just not in the same league as the honey series nectarines to me. I find that I like nectarines better in general, but I still like a few good peaches. I like them for jam as well.

My one and only apricot this year.robada apricot.flavor is good,but size seems on small side.maybe it will be bigger next year

3 Likes

We have been eating Orient pears for a few days now. They are a little hard but very sweet.

I just was out in the orchard … grabbed a few Clayton peaches and some Shiro plums and one Weeping Santa Rosa made it in (ate several in the orchard – they are too tasty to resist!). The Lavinia plums are deep red but still not ripe - they are coloring up earlier this year.

Every year I say I am going to get rid of Shiro but its super reliable and super productive so I just can’t cut it off. Its only 20% of the tree now but it still out-produces the rest of the tree. My WSR is a very small tree but this year I grafted my big old SR over to WSR so I hope to have masses of them in a few years.

8 Likes

Scott,nice fruit. I grafted shiro this year. My J. Plum has not turned color yet.

Yesterday I bought some plums. The shop employee unfortunately didn’t know the variety by name, only the information which he could tell was ‘something new’ fruit from Spain.

Once back at home I had tasted one, it occurred to me on very very dark in color, the flesh was firmly
full of juice with a pronounced aromatic plum taste, the sweet / sour balance was perfect in harmony, certainly a great piece of fruit.

Most integrates me the striking color of this variety Wow!

Never before I saw similar color at plum, as with eating black cherries my hands were hard to clean
Pit: rather small Clingstone type

Anyone familiar with this plum?

3 Likes

The Plumagranate I ate last week had extremely dark flesh like your. Skin was lighter though. At the time I marveled at the complexity of the flavor and admitted that it did taste like polmagranite. By the time I finished the bag of fruits I had figured out that what it really tasted like was red wine! I saved some seeds and will plant them out.

1 Like

too bad you have no pictures?

Yes I posted about it at the time. Now that I look back at the picture the skin does look dark like yours. The picture shows a bitten fruit which gives an illusion the flesh isn’t as dark.

You may have the same fruit that I did

1 Like

I buy similar looking plum at local grocery store evety year. Large size, very dark skin , deep red flesh. Small stone, not free stone. Let it soft a little bit, it can be very sweet and juice but still somewhat firm. Skin is tart. Very nice aroma,smell hint of rose. Dont know the name,but I thought it is a standard commercial variety

I ate a Shaa kar pareh white apricot. Very good, but very small. I really hope they get bigger in the future.

I found 2 arctic jay on the tree I grow in a pot, they were awesome. The rest are not ripe but I can’t wait. Another excellent nectarine. Still have splash pluot, they keep getting sweeter, and emerald drop is close. I’ve eaten all of the Santa Rosa and the satsuma are close. Honey blaze was awesome but gone. It seems I prefer the really good nectarines to other fruit. Flavor king is starting to color up, probable a month away, and we will see if it is still the king of fruit to me, or if honey kist is king this year.

Amen to that brother…!! Not enough is said here about nectarines. Most people don’t want to put in the effort needed to grow them. So we hear more about lots of inferior fruits.

I have to agree. Until a person tries one of those nectarines covered in what I call sugar spots, you are just missing out. They aren’t what most people would call pretty but when covered in those spots they really are far superior to anything else in my opinion

1 Like

Had my first Gala apple today. If you like sweet this one is for you.

1 Like

A pile of figs, probably more than I should have. :blush: They are about to reach the point where more ripen per day than we could possibly eat. It’s about time to start processing them for later enjoyment.

I also shared a bowl of slip skin grapes - Niagra and something mislabeled.

2 Likes

photos please!..

They were always good-sized for me. Make sure to thin well, it can overset.

My Triple Crown blackberries are coming in for the first time. Wow! I never expected them to be so delicious. One big berry melts in your mouth with sweet juice. Store berries were never like this. I have about 15’ of them, but now I want to extend the patch. A local commercial grower told me that given SWD, I would have to spray or learn to eat maggots. I immediately went out and bought the most highly rated chemicals available without restriction. Damn the SWD…full speed ahead for blackberries!!

6 Likes