What fruits did you eat today?

Maybe Black Splendor?

Black Splendor has red flesh this plum flesh is much more deep black in color

Satsuma that is growing on prunus americana have started to fall. Delicious fruit, but way too small. Maybe i didnā€™t thin enough, although the tree is huge and it has only a few fruit. I really am going to like this plum if i can get it up to size.

Last week I bought some black diamond plums, fruit was not completely ripe

1 Like

Rare for me but I got to eat some of my own actual fruit. These re blue crop blueberries

7 Likes

I had some store bought Nectarines. They were very sweet and about 19 brix.I canā€™t imagine what some of fruitnutā€™s taste like in the mid 20ā€™s. Brady

Thomcord seedless grape. First fruit off it and I just planted it last year. They are a little small but very tasty, but they are thick skinned. I only sprayed them a couple of times and no issues at all. Might be a keeper. Anyone else grow these?

At Mattā€™s request, I snapped some pics of what was left after we ate our fill from yesterday eveningā€™s pickings.

You probably canā€™t tell from the pics, but thatā€™s a large serving bowl holding just under a gallon the way itā€™s heaped. Thereā€™s another container in the fridge.

10 Likes

Peach cobbler topped with freshly whipped cream. Yummmmmm! :yum:

12 Likes

Muddy,

Mouth watering!!!

Tony

1 Like

Samā€™s Club had a few different types of nectarines, but i found a box of Honey Royale. Very goodā€¦very juicy.

They also had one bag left of Flavor Grenade pluotā€¦ I didnā€™t grab any (they seemed smallā€¦iā€™ve only had a few of them off my tree, so i donā€™t remember).

Still eating Hesse plumcotsā€¦

Do they have a good flavor and worth growing?If so,maybe we could trade scion wood. Brady

I hate to go on just one year of fruit, but honestlyā€¦iā€™d rather eat Satsuma. Hesse is a very big fruit thoughā€¦but itā€™s like if you pick them underripeā€¦throw them in the garbageā€¦they are badā€¦and once they get rip they kind of get mushy and the flavor is ehā€¦good but nothing to write home about (the cots i had were much better). I still have 20 or so out there. I have a lot of wood (budwood) if you want someā€¦ itā€™s very aggressiveā€¦sends out mile long shoots.

Are they more like a Plum or an Apricot?Iā€™ve never done any kind of budding before,only Spring grafting. Brady

Just ate 2 of themā€¦more plum. The skin is cot. not freestone at all.

Remind me in late winter and iā€™ll get you some.

1 Like

Photos of your Hesse?

They look better then they taste.

Hard to tell if they are ripe. These ones arenā€™t ready yet. They seem to get mushy fastā€¦but if picked hardā€¦are horrible. Fruitnut would ban them for sure :slight_smile: They are prettyā€¦easy to growā€¦set goodā€¦not much for insect problemsā€¦a little brown rot, but not anything like the pluots that are slowly disappearing because every day a few more are covered in rot (constant rain/high humidity doesnā€™t help)ā€¦ Birds are pecking them like crazy.

Nice orange fleshā€¦would be great in a breeding programā€¦cross Hesse with a Moniqui white flesh cot.

4 Likes

Have you tried counter-ripening any of them? Do they improve that way? Or just turn to mush?

Yesā€¦they do improve but they get mushy it seems. I know Scott mentions they are one you have to let hang a long time on the treeā€¦so i have some out there still hangingā€¦weā€™ll see if they get better. They are one that you canā€™t pick unripe or they are super tart. Fun to grow, but i wouldnā€™t want a tree of them.

Thanks for sharing your results. They certainly make pretty fruits.