What is going on today 2017?

Deal…lol! I have so many weeds right now from all the rain!

1 Like

Looks good, hope they work out.

I see Kentucky plates, and a Louisville sticker! I thought you were in TN.

My end goal is to be mostly self sufficient…gonna take me forever do to so… me being born into the wrong family all… causing me to have a day job!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Our chickens slow down quite a bit in winter due to the days being shorter and molting. Not many extra eggs in winter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank Kevin. Chalk up most of that coop/run to my husband. He is very talented and I am very lucky. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the one i have i can set it up to 60 minutes…so it’ll take 1 pic an hour… The pic quality isn’t there though…cellphone takes a heck of a lot better of pictures. Maybe find a time lapse app for a cellphone and leave it plugged in outside (old cellphone)…i know of people using old cellphones for webcams. Although i doubt a cellphone could handle much rain or snow…would have to enclose it some.

The alcohol increases dancing performance… you should have done the worm…if i did the worm i’d be in intensive care.

4 Likes

Kentucky plates because I still live in Fort Campbell, KY albeit the TN side. The installation splits the two states of KY/TN, but because the post office box is on the KY side hence the reason it’s referred to as Fort Campbell, KY. My property where my orchard is at is in Woodlawn, TN about 14 miles south of the installation. We plan on building a home on the 20 acres next summer. And that sticker is not a Louisville Cardinal (everyone thinks it is), it is a Southeast Missouri University RedHawk sticker. My daughter goes to college there and plays on there D1 soccer team. Thanks for the vote of confidence with the grafts. I hope they take!

Oh, sorry about that. I see KY plates, and a redbird sticker, I just assumed it was Louisville. SE Mo State is in the same conference as Morehead St. Maybe your daughter has played some games there? We live within an hour of Morehead.

My wife and both our nieces (her sister’s girls) have degrees from MSU. My wife was working there when we met, and would like to get a job there again, but so far no go. She does elementary sub teaching in the county we live for now.

1 Like

came across this on reddit, I love it

12 Likes

Don’t get us started now!

Bud9 is hardy to -30F. Don’t sweat it and graft!

Just ordered two Sweetcrisp blueberries, based on recommendations on this forum, can’t wait!

1 Like

Tornado Watch going on - more unseasonable weather

Stay safe they are not fun to be in.

2 Likes

Got my 7 soil sample reports back from the UK ag Dept. Pretty detailed report, they show the usual P, K, CA, Zn, Mg, soil pH, buffer pH, and amendment rec’s according to the crop being planted in that plot.

All the plots but one were no larger than 50x75 ft, but the results varied considerably. My tomato patch shows a definite calcium deficiency, which would explain the blossom end rot on a lot of my fruit.

So, definitely worth the $3 per report…

3 Likes

You must have been in the warm air…stuck at 45F here all day and clouds. Still set my tomato seedlings outside all day…put some hair on their stems.

Tornado watch here, warm and humid with a cold front blowing through at one am.

OK, this appears to be a general topic for what’s going on today, and as others have shared personal experiences, so will I. Nothing to do w/ fruit here.

Today, my wife called me at the farm and wanted me to bring home tacos for supper (she’s sick and has the flu or something). There is no taco bell close to the farm, so I told her I would stop by a local bar which advertises taco Tues. specials.

I never go into the bar scene, but after I walked into the smoky bar and placed my order, an attractive blond woman of my age got up from her chair and came over and sat down next to me, and stuck up a conversation. The whole thing seemed surreal to me. I’m married, in my dirty work clothes from spraying a pre-emergent under the trees, plus I’m not catch at all at 51.

In the course of conversation, I told her I’ve been married for almost 30 years and never so much as held hands w/ another woman (I’ve flirted, but never crossed the line of “no touch, no foul”). She sort of admonished me and told me I “really should wear a wedding ring”. I flashed my wedding ring, which sort of blends into my skin, mentioned it, and she said she didn’t notice it before.

My whole point in this bizarre un-fruit related story is that I’m reeling that a woman would try to come on to me at a bar. Does this really happen to 50 yr olds? I haven’t tried to pick up or be picked up on for 30 years! I have to admit the whole thing was very flattering though. That said, I think I’ll hold my wife extra tight when I go to bed tonight.

18 Likes

Launch into a detailed explanation of how fruit trees don’t come true from seeds and how grafting is used to preserve popular varieties for hundreds of years… 95 percent chance they will leave you alone after that.

13 Likes

Finished up on my apple and pear pruning today…around 50 degrees here on the last day of Feb. Very little snow left.

Pear trees are my least favorite thing to prune. At this point I look at shaping my pear trees as a very long process. I tend to want perfectly pruned trees sooner rather than later & that just isn’t happening with my pears.