What is going on today 2017?

It looks like a Juliet. What is it? Great roots for sure! More roots than tree. Oops I didn’t see your post above.

1 Like

Wow, another big rooted RS cherry. Bet that was a chore pulling out of the ground. I know they prob use a mechanical digger, but that’s still some stout roots.

How old is that, a couple years old?

1 Like

this is really the fault of @Drew51 . I believe he is the one who posted a picture of his RS cherry from Henry fields. You folks are enablers. Here it is in its forever home.

6 Likes

A horseshoe and planted on St Patrick’s Day, it will outlive us all!

5 Likes

I know right? That has to be good luck finding a horseshoe when planting a new cherry bush.

5 Likes

Oh yeah like a double good luck!

1 Like

I didn’t know you found it digging the hole. Wow! That’s good luck for all Juliet’s!

1 Like

It would be incredible for one year. A plug is usually a whip about 12". It could get to that size in two years.

1 Like

Thinking about firing up the snowmobile! All the lakes thawed and refroze, and now it’s snowing. I even had thawed ground enough to plant trees. Now its hard frozen getting covered up in snow. Don’t worry I’m not talking about sledding across the lakes, although it’s holding those geese up!

Theta, York, and Jefferson looking good in their new home. I ordered these three several months ago and ask that they be sent asap because we warm up early at my location. The trees arrived yesterday and as I suspected most of the buds were greening up. Sure did want to plant these while they were totally dormant. Other than that these 2.5’ trees looked good. These were listed as good pollinating partners but I’m pretty sure a little grafting and these will be mostly the ones with the larger nut.

3 Likes

Grafted Geraldi dwarf mulberries on the rootstock and planted them out.

3 Likes

Top worked a 15 year old ornamental plum in the Mojave Desert. 12 varieties added; damsons, gages, mirabelles, asian plums, and pluots

24 Likes

Looks great. Your my kind of grafter. Why use one variety when adding several is more fun. Bill

1 Like

Toka plum blooming

7 Likes

My little Tieton cherry blooming.

1 Like

Is all your dirt that black and rich looking or did you amend the hole before planting those good looking grafted Mberries?

Antmary,
I’ve never had a successful dormant mulberry graft. I grafted about 50 one year and did not get a single take. I hope yours do better for you. Did you save a little wood back you can graft later after they leaf out?

They are planted in vegetable garden so the soil is better there, but in general we have very good soils in this area. When I dag these mulberries in the public park under the pine tree I was also thinking how good the soil was under this tree :slight_smile:

Clark, this is my first time grafting it. I was always thinking that mulberries that grow like weeds should be easily grafted but it looks like I am wrong. When I grafted them I noticed that the wood is firm and tough to cut, this maybe the reason that they are harder to take. The buds on the scions started to wake up so I decided to graft them. We’ll se how it goes.

2 Likes

Mulberry graft ok once they wake up so hopefully this 80 + degree weather will get those rootstocks woke up and growing.