What is going on today 2017?

Kevin,
Tht is it, the apple cedar rust gall.

This was the reply I got from Vaughn’s: It is possible due to chilling requirements that Carolina Gold could have later growth. Wait & watch for now.

Since both trees appear to be in the same stage of growth/lack of growth, I find that interesting compared to the others.

I got AC Wendy, too, for an early berry

1 Like

Yeah I don’t have any early types. I want to try it, and if good can just reproduce the runners. I need to thin those plants around Toro, that’s just the first year! Crazy! I don’t really see a need for more than one plant in many cases. That is what 4 plants did. This time I’m only putting two in the bed!

They seem to always sell in bundles of 25 and that is too many for me. I’d rather have 5 of 5 different varieties. I ordered a 10 pack of Flavorfest…have no idea why…i just did.

1 Like

LOL! I know, been there, done that, have the T-shirt. I think these Archer’s are winners, I hope so, I have enough now, i should never have to buy anymore. I killed about 100 pineberry plants, and kept 7 for the new bed. My wife doesn’t like soft strawberries, and the pineberries are soft. I think they are great, so keeping enough of them for me! They will spread to many more. I think I’m going to go out and thin those strawberries around the Toro. Kill them as I have no place to put them.

YOU ARE KILLING ME!!! 2 weekends ago I hiked more than 2 hours through all kinds of woods looking for dry land fish (Morels) and in spite of what should be PERFECT conditions…didn’t find a single one. Now you come along and tell us that you are basically tripping over them right in the middle of your orchard!!! Killing me, Johnny, killing me! haha Go ahead and box some up and send them this way. haha Kidding, of course, and I’d say you are having no trouble finding good uses for them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been my mushroom year. I have been inoculating logs, sawdust, plugs, coffee grounds, and now the morels are coming to me. I saw a video where a guy has morels growing all over his property. He puts them in a blender and adds them to a five gallon bucket of water and I think molasses. I’ll see if I can find it. He takes the buckets and splashes it all over. He has figured out how to propagate them.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI

10 Likes

I bagged more peaches today. I was pleasantly surprised to see the late blooming Contender did its job and had to be thinned heavily. I probably still left too many fruit on it. Between it and the Belle of Georgia, I may get as many as two dozen fruit. That may actually be too much for my little formerly container trees that went into the ground last fall. I discovered a second peach on my Hale Haven, so those two peaches ought to be about as good as the tree can possibly produce. I am a little worried about humidity in the bags, but I am very optimistic.

1 Like

My highly trained Morel hunting dog.

10 Likes

Oh you lucky people! My favorite mushroom and they cost a fortune here in NE and I can only get them dried! Such a great taste!

Is that a Britany? Sure looks like it has some spaniel! I love it.

She’s a pound dog. They tell us she’s beagle. I think she is a spaniel of some sort.

That is not a beagle.

I could see some beagle in the mix with that muzzle but definitely some spaniel in there as Kevin said.

Looks to be a good year for plums in Ca.

Parfume De Septembre

10 Likes

Well, on Wednesday, I figured it would be as good a time as any to plow, so with the help of the Mrs, we hooked up the double plow. It took me a while to get it adjusted to the right level and angle, but finally figured it out. In about two hours, I got four plots done. The ground was a bit damp down deep, but not too bad, didn’t spin the tires at all.

Now they need to sit a few days before they get disked. We’re supposed to get some rain overnight and tomorrow, so I hope it’s not enough to turn it into a mess.

After it gets disked, I’ll put down the rest of the needed lime, and fertilizer, till it in, and we should be good to go for the veggies.

I must be getting a bit looney, but being out there on the tractor and turning that sod over gives me a bit of a thrill. I love the smell of that freshly turned earth, and seeing those big furrows laid over. Maybe because it seems both destructive and creative?

5 Likes

Its called ‘Black dirt fever.’

6 Likes

Ack! Invasion of the BlueJays this morning. We keep lots of bird feeders and always have.
We get many species of birds and I know of no other location to see different birds than my own yard.
However I have NEVER seen so many BlueJays in one spot! There must be 40 out there.

Grafting pears like crazy!

3 Likes