What is going on today 2017?

Today, January 17th, my huckleberries, AKA Elliot’s blueberries, AKA may berries AKA Vaccinium elliottii are now blooming. Here in SE Georgia they ripen from April through early June. I finished spraying the fruit trees and muscadines with copper sulfate yesterday.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16114853_775569889265406_3356818085062242506_n.jpg?oh=212b2723928fb51fde249fec05f361d4&oe=592495F1

7 Likes

Nice! Is that a siamese cat in the background?

yes, that is Sagwey. He’s a Canadian kitty, but he’s sure enjoying living in Georgia.

3 Likes

My first fruit harvest in 2017. Indoor planted / 100% artificial light strawberry Evie. Good aroma and sweet taste according to my little evaluator. :yum: Minor problems so far are mites (solved by couple times of potassium soap water) and calcium deficiency.

This is the largest strawberry I had ever grown. Even comparing to what I did outdoor before. I never had good experience when planting strawberry outdoor :confused:

13 Likes

Should be ok. I store all my trees in my garage and it easily gets 0F in there. Thinking back the only thing i’ve lost in there were paw paw seedlings and blueberry plants. Now i live the blueberries right outside in the ground…i gave up on paw paws, but might try them int he ground.

Temperatures heading toward 60 - daffodils are up and doubtless other gullible vegetation is falling for this faux spring

They’ll be SORRRRRY!

7 Likes

I dug up a couple of seedling rootstock and put them in pots.

4 Likes

Nice roots on those

I’m up early. The house is shaking. Wind is gusting to 80 mph and temp is just above freezing. I hope everything is still here when it gets light. Power was off during the night but thankfully back on now.

I’m hoping anyone east of here doesn’t get the same or much worse. These type storms tend to spawn tornadoes as they move east.

5 Likes

Today is gameday for me. Hoping the Steelers can pull one off in New England today. Sausage and peppers are in the crock pot now and should be perfect by game time.

On a side note, temp was 67 here yesterday and as I washed my truck and the wife’s SUV a honey bee flew inside the truck. Crazy seeing honey bees flying in mid January.

3 Likes

It has been extra warm here for a few days. Sometime this triggers bud swelling in my low chill varieties of pears and blueberries. Sure is nice to have a warm break in the weather.

1 Like

I’ve spent 40 yrs in TX hoping for below normal temps for the next 2-3 months. That’s to hold back bloom. It’s only really worked out a few yrs. We’ll have bloom again this yr in Febr.

3 Likes

And???
Don’t keep us in suspense.

I did a walk around and everything seems fine. The greenhouse covering is still inflated and my roof looks OK.

I see there are tornado threats coming up for the Southern states. Good luck to all in those areas.

4 Likes

Speaking of models, forget the trees, what a cool car! I love old school rides!

NFC Championship football! I’m hoping my Packers can pull off another upset. Looks like the sun might come out and melt the rest of the snow in the yard. It’s been cloudy for a long time now. It will be nice to get some sun. It’s been warm foggy and rainy here.

43F here yesterday and thickest fog i’ve ever seen. Still have a layer of snow/ice/crust on the ground. Lots of melt. Saying a possibility of ice jams on local rivers. I saw St. Louis was 72F yesterday…shorts in January.

Snow this week…maybe 5+ inches Tues= Weds…just got everything clear and we get more. Winter is far from done.

1 Like

Kansas has been wet from constant rains and warm when I figured we would be receiving ice rain and cold weather. Seems like I was way off but time will tell. Winter is not over yet.
@fruitnut I’m glad your ok I know how those types of storms are. The wind tears through Kansas at times. My mother and I sat on my porch once and watched a tornado coming close to us and then pass by a couple of miles away. I had no basement or shelter at the time. I’m a respecter of the weather. That type of weather your getting tears off anything not nailed down. Thankfully you did not receive much damage.

I am kinda concerned that the weather is going to make thing bloom early.

Oh Fruitnut, I am so sorry, please keep us posted. How will the tunnel fare in that weather? That is definitely serious and frightening! Best thoughts to you!