What is going on today 2017?

Lots of violent weather down south last night and more today. Folks at the game in Atlanta need to keep an eye on this stuff. @Auburn, @Chris_in_GA, @barry, @haldog, @coolmantoole, and any GF folks there, have you seen anything bad yet?

1 Like

We went to the basement once yesterday and once today, about an hour ago in fact. There was a clear hook echo on the radar that was right on top of us. That got the heart pumping to say the least. But I see no signs of a tornado or significant wind event, at least not in my neighborhood. I’m not sure about other areas nearby. I hope everyone else has also dodged these storms.

Crazy weather. Our lows have not dipped below 50F since Jan 11. We’ve been stuck at 430 chill hours since then. Spring peepers are out. My blueberries and figs are starting to leaf out. Strawberries are flowering. Apples and pears are still sound asleep for now.

Going to be another bad year for me. I am a month early breaking dormancy.

SHB

Apple

Flowering Quince

2 Likes

Those forecast lows are a week away. Hopefully things will change.
Have you tried using diluted ammonia on vulnerable blooms before a frost?

I finished taking cuttings from my orchard today.

If you’re expecting scions from me, they will be mailed this week. You know who you are.

1 Like

I have not, does that help?
Really not worried about the blooms, I just can’t protect them for another month.

Aside from dodging storms, I ceremonially chopped up the christmas tree into little pieces and mulched a blueberry bush with it.

2 Likes

I have 2 Anna apples (low chill) that decide when they’ve had enough winter and just bloom. Two years ago after a cold spell in November, they bloomed around Thanksgiving. I’ve read on some eco-ag sites that a certain Dr R said diluted ammonia will protect the blooms in a frost. So I wasn’t prepared then but will be now. You don’t have to protect them for a month, just when the temp dips. I have nothing to lose by trying but something to learn. And I don’t have that many trees…that behave like Anna. :flushed:

Yeah, we were just babysitting the Galaxie for a few weeks. It’s amazing how much attention it gets. Feels like you are driving two cars at the same time, but that engine noise is awesome.

LOL! Yes, almost like a big old boat, where you have to turn, wait, have faith that it will turn. I like cars, but don’t know every model, some of my friends do! Most of my friends would have known what that was, I did not, a Galaxie, very cool.

I built a greenhouse at my work from scratch.

24 Likes

Very nice. Where did you get the plastic? Looks like polycarb?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s polycarbonate, I got it at Lowe’s. In a perfect world it would be twinwall, but that would double or triple my cost!

2 Likes

Nice

1 Like

Sweet house. What do you plan on growing in it? Will it have a heat source in there?

1 Like

Mostly for seed starting, part of my job is managing a 5000sq foot veggie garden. Probably microgreens as well. Heat will just be a space heater as needed, it’s not super insulated unfortunately.

1 Like

Nice job on the greenhouse. Harbor Freight sells the temperature activated vent openers for about $25 a piece. You can play with them to open at a certain temperature. I’ve made four skylights for a shed out of those pannels before. They do turn to a yellow color after a while. They still let in a lot of light though. I made them in 1988 and they are still holding up. Are you keeping it at work, or taking it home?

1 Like

It’s for work, I’m the gardener at a golf course/clubhouse. Apparently they used to have a harbor freight greenhouse, but it blew away in a storm. I built this to not move, and it did fine in the 40-50 mph gusts today.

7 Likes

What are the dimensions on that? 8xsomething…

You should paint that plywood…get a good exterior white paint… actually…you should paint all the lumber.

1 Like

It’s 6x8. I will be putting spray foam/caulk in the cracks and gaps, then painting all exposed wood surfaces. I ran out of time to paint before rains rolled in, unfortunately.