What is going on today 2017?

Fruitnut,
When the sherif stops by you know your getting some attention lol. Glad to read your fruits doing ok! It’s pretty early in the morning to have that much going on. I’m curious now what’s going to happen by the end of the day!

1 Like

Yeah that cold spell is coming our way but we are buffered by the lakes, low was 37, they are back up to 39 starting Tuesday. The whole week’s lows are in the mid forties. My tomatoes and peppers are planted out, they will live but be set back some by the cold. Everything is growing well around here, I wish the temps were better. I went through my currants yesterday and took some photos.

I’m going to get a ton of gooseberries this year.

Some of my currants are quite large mature plants now.
Laxton’s No 1

I have to start removing older branches soon.
London Market. Stubborn to produce when small, a bit too cold here I think? This year it decided to produce.

9 Likes

The low was briefly 28-29F. That’s the coldest we’ve been since January 28. My remote sensing thermometer on my porch railing read 23.4F. I don’t think there was much damage. The freeze was too brief. Did see some on the neighbors grapes.

11 Likes

What an upper to walk outside to a row of such well tended pots. Love it.

Probably a call from neighbors looking out for you. Everything looks amazing.

1 Like

Drew, what is the currant on the first picture? It has very long trusses and looks amazing.

I had some currants at my cottage and I took cutting to grow at home. As growth there was very slow. The cuttings got mixed up. It is probably a white or a pink. I have 2 of each, so I can’t say for sure?
Pink Champagne
Glorie des Sablons
White Imperial
Or Primus.

I can give you cuttings, if you remind me.

I mixed whites with blackberries for a jam. It gave a citrus like finish to the blackberries, very nice. I want to try and make red currant jelly with Thai Basil which has an anise/clove type flavor. I usually make jam, but have made jelly from time to time. I use jelly bags. I never grew Thai Basil, I have not planted any yet, still too cold here.

3 Likes

Glad I for once didn’t jump the gun and plant out my tomatoes early - it was down to 39 last nite

We got down to 41, yes, I should have waited a bit. I usually plant about right now.

1 Like

I usually go by soil temp, and it was up to 66 last week. Then I looked at the longrange forecast.

I usually plant out over the holiday weekend. We are still susceptible to frost here in mich. When I was planting couple hundred varieties of peppers it was to much of a risk, I guess I could start now since I am not growing many peppers this year. if only I could get off of 7-12’s.

1 Like

Last year, I planted 4th of July tomatoes on 4/22 during a hot spell. Spent many days thereafter going out at nite to put buckets over them to protect from frost.

They did survive and fruit

1 Like

I should not have to cover anything, just not ideal.

We just went under an active tornado watch until 7:05pm.

It’s a weathery weekend - stay safe!

3 Likes

We had non stop rain and cold in the 40’s the last few days. Monday and the rest of week is looking good with the temp in the 70’s… The lawn will grow like weeds!

Tony

2 Likes

This stretch has been horrible. Clouds and 40fs… it’s like winter.

Next weekend the east coast folks get hit with cold/rain…ugliness… Although next Sunday doesn’t look very warm here either…big lob of polar air comes down.

Nice. Looking forward to it.
We’ve had mid to high 80s WITH humidity and sun. Beach weather - not garden weather. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you, Drew. I would really like it. Now it is probably too late to have a cutting, so next spring. I have named black and red currant plants that I liked, so I can give them in exchange.
I like uncooked red currant blended with sugar. It keeps in refrigerator for a long time.

Yes I can take cuttings late winter, and send along to root next spring. I can send this fall too. I usually take them in the fall, and just stick them in the soil.
I could do an air layer too. That way the plant will start growing next spring. No worries about trade. That plant is 2nd leaf. It was a cutting last year.

2 Likes

A small strawberry harvest today

17 Likes