What is going on today 2017?

Yes I do amend the soil with everything acidic I can find and years ago when I first put them in I threw ammonium sulfate in the holes.
The bb"s in the enclosure are 5 or 6 years old,

Blue crop 3
Blue ray. 2
Duke. 1
Chippewa. 1
Patriot. 1

I let all mine fruit their 2nd year. I also fertilize heavy with the ammonium sulfate once a week.

2 Likes

Noticed some weird curling on some new growth in my burning bushes and discovered a thick concentration of black aphids. They aren’t in my orchard yet but was surprised to see them that thick on a burning bushes. They got some soapy water

1 Like

My Majest & Red Haven are lighting blossoms off all over.

9 Likes

Of course…it’s snowing this morning…and it’s sticking somewhat… ugh.

I was thinking of you when I saw the snow on the radar. Maybe you can spray them with your garden hose. Snow really isn’t as bad as frost or ice. If your below freezing I wouldn’t spray them unles you think you can do it with out it freezing back up.

We’re above freezing…its just a wet slop. Showing 34.7F on my home station. Should go into the 40Fs a little later…tomorrow should be back above 50F and so on… The trees in bloom can’t be happy. Even a robin was hiding under the picnic table all morning.

Just annoying stretch of weather for this whole area.

About an inch of liquid precip overnight. Plenty of moisture in these parts.

My tomatoes and peppers are all outside in pots… oops.

1 Like

I may cover the strawberries tomorrow nite

Those temps will set them back a bit for sure

My strawberries that were in full bloom got buried under about 2" of snow and slush over the last 48 hrs. Its melting off rapidly today. I guess only time will tell how bad the damage will be.

I feel awful for all of you and hope the freeze isn’t too bad.

Georgia had its own freeze in March that caused a lot of damage to peaches, blueberries and other fruit.

I know ever since there has been agriculture there have been untimely freezes and crops ruined, but it seems like it’s happening more and more often.

One more day then spring is here for real. . .

Yup. We had snow maybe 2 or 3 years ago on May 1st…becoming a thing.

I found two clumps of morels where I dump my spent barley grains. I grafted 22 verities of apples and saw the garter snake again. The lump from swallowing the big toad is almost gone. I have fruit set on my potted Spice zee.

12 Likes

Do you dump water you rinse morels in that spot also? I have heard you can spread them that way

No but you can lightly chop them in a blender add some flour and water mix them and then add to a five gallon bucket with two tbls of molasses and 1/2 cup wood ash. Put an air bubblier in the bucket for 24 hours to feed the spoors then add that to twenty more buckets and splash it around your property. I’m going to try that. You can splash it on your wood chip mulch. You can put wood chips in the shade and drench those. I posted a video on it few days ago.

3 Likes

I thought I saw someone posted a video but I didn’t have time to watch it that day, I would love to hear how it works for you

1 Like

First fruit of the season for me! Honestly, I’m very surprised they did as well as they did with all the rain we’ve had. But holy cow are they good!!! I say this about peaches all the time, but it is also just as true with strawberries: People who have never had fresh

picked berries and only tasted grocery store strawberries just have no idea what they are missing. Grocery store strawberries are bigger and prettier, but the taste isn’t even on the same planet!

20 Likes

How did you get strawbs this early? Are you growing them in a greenhouse? Anyways, what variety are they?

Wait, April Fool’s Day was a month ago…

:question::question::question::question::question:

I’ve got strawberries! I’ll post pics tomorrow!

1 Like

Are we really that far ahead of you guys? I’m not alone in having ripe strawberries in my area…directly across the street from me is a pick-you own strawberry patch and they have been open since last week. So have several others. Actually, where I live is sort of a strawberry-central for Tennessee and there are lots of pick your own patches in this area and I know there are at least 3 that are open. So I’m certainly not alone. And I don’t have a greenhouse. All that being said, we ARE actually about 2 weeks early on strawberries this year. Considering I had plum trees blooming in JANUARY this year and everything else has been early, I guess its all due to the warm winter. All that being said, 2 weeks early doesn’t seem that shocking…just out of curiosity…are yours just now blooming or what stage are they?

BTW- I don’t have a greenhouse and I don’t know what variety of strawberries I have. I bought them at a produce store of all places for $1 per large pot full of potted plants, which I put in the ground 2 years ago and haven’t done much to them since. Its actually a sad little weed-filled patch but produced pretty well!

2 Likes