What is going on today 2017?

Unlikely to be HoneyCrisp. HC is slightly more oblate than that. The green is softer and they start coloring very early. Granny Smith is a good guess by Mark, could be Yellow Delicious as well. Too early to tell.

Below is Hcrisp.

After looking at my Yellow Delicious I’m not very sure of that either. They are not that bright green.

2 Likes

Seems like we sell a lot of (poorly ripened!) Grannies in the grocery store. When I see those come through I almost automatically start typing in the UPC (4017, for those who are interested). The moment I saw that picture “4017” sprang to mind. I think it’s that “bright green” that gets you.

:-)M

2 Likes

Hmmmm…was always under assumption that the branch was Hc…i grafted something on there… I also have Jefferies/Williams Pride and some unknown seedling on the tree. This apple (above) is very shaded spot…and its really big.

I believe this is WP (same tree)

I did a horrible job of thinning this tree and i need to thin it some. Next year i bet it doesn’t have much for fruit.

Rain again tonite…more rot!

4 Likes

So today I placed what I hope will be my last order with one exception for fruit trees for Spring 2018.

Cummins -

Apple - Enterprise - 1-year Bare-root G.41
Apple - NY 35 (Bonkers) - 1-year Bare-root G.222
Apple - Pink Lady (Cripps Pink) - 1-year Bare-root G.41
Apple - Redfree (Co-Op 13) - 1-year Bare-root G.41
Rootstock - Rootstocks - 1-year Bare-root B.118

ACN Nursery -

PF8 Eight Ball Peach
GlenGlo Peach
September Snow Peach
Initial Apple

Brandt’s Nursery

All Cherries on Maxma 14 Rootstock

chelan
Black Pearl
sweetheart
Skeena

With my peach order I have eliminated most of the gaps in my orchard - I should have peaches all season long. The only thing left to order is a Blackheart Cherry Tree from Albermarle Cider Works, I planted one last year on my father’s farm and it is growing well. This one is going on my 5 acre home lot.

Richard - AKA Spuddaddy

3 Likes

Haha. That’s awesome. We’re always planning for the future with horticulture - and then making it happen - or trying at least. Today I was thinking about which tomato varieties to plant next year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, yesterday was strawberry planting day. These were the replacements from Nourse that went bad after a flash flood last month. They came in on Wed, and Thu I re-tilled the plot, for the fourth time…

I started about 11, and it was already warm, but I wanted to get it done. I took a lot of breaks as it was getting hot out in the bright sun, and was very humid. I think I got the last plant watered in, and re-seated about 7. I went thru two T-shirts, the first one was soaked after a couple hours. But, it’s done, but my back and neck are reminding me to take it easy today. Hope these take, and grow well this summer, I ain’t planting them again!

7 Likes

Japanese beetles are here with a vengeance, so I got out the sprayer, made it insecticide/fungicide against the brown rot as well, as the cots and early plums are coming to ripe

Now I’m deploying the nets against both JB and squirrels. The black bird net from Gurneys turns out to be not only heavy but quite snaggy. otoh, the blue Big Bug net from American Nettings is wonderful. Gonna buy more of these, tho I really wish they come in a larger size.

2 Likes

Saw my first JBs today. They are on my J plums. I killed every one I found.

2 Likes

All my blueberries have finished fruiting and have been summer pruned. Hoping for an increased yield in 2018.

5 Likes

Japanese beetles certainly did make a come back this year. I don’t trap moles and they consume huge numbers of larvae. The JB are coming from neighboring properties in swarms but even then in comparison to other places in Kansas my JB problem is minimal. I’m going to hope the moles raise large families this year :0)

1 Like

My first cherry harvest is officially complete here.

Brought in a total of 380 pounds, 200 pounds Montmorency (off of 10 trees) and 180 pounds Balaton (off of 9 trees). Averaged out to 20 pounds per tree for both varieties. Interesting how some trees had about 5 pounds and some had 40+.

I sold most of the harvest, put 75 pounds in the freezer for wine, have about 30 pounds in the fridge for drying and a couple of pounds saved for snacking and jam.

Now it’s off to spray the Japanese Beetles…

11 Likes

Did you sale them at a farmers market or in bulk to someone?

1 Like

Sold most of them to co-workers for making wine. Wine-makers use a lot of fruit!

I could have easily sold a few hundred more pounds, just by word of mouth. I would have never guessed there is such a high demand for sour cherries.

6 Likes

Wow! Mine have not started yet, but loaded to the gills with berries. The Robins are looking at them daily!

I did too.

3 Likes

The last two years my Black Diamond blackberry lost it’s floricanes, so I never had a taste. This year all the canes survived and they are ripening now, quite early! And wow! They are fabulous! Extremely good, not very tart, just rich flavor. Very impressive!

6 Likes

Emerald Drop pluots, Splash pluots, and Geo-Pride pluots, with a Burgundy plum, ready to be eaten :grin:

By far, the Geo-Prides are my favorite of this lot. Splash is unbelievably productive though (literally 15 times more fruit), compared to the other pluots I have.

7 Likes

Just finished off my last Spice Zee nectaplum, there were 3 fruit leftover from a container tree I bought and planted about 2 months ago. What a unique taste! I couldn’t tell if I liked it at first, because I was not expecting it to taste the way it did; I was kind of just expecting a sweet, sub-acid white nectarine. It had a little “persimmony” after taste.

1 Like

Geo Pride is my favorite of those four as well. I just ate two. They are running 25-30 brix. Potent little buggers. These are the same size, on K1 roots, as Nadia but far better. On Citation in past yrs Geo Pride can have pretty good size, still good brix but not 30.

Are you thinning? I got similar yields on all of those.

2 Likes

Went outside after today’s rain was finishing up, and looked over the strawberry patch. I’m happy to report that all but maybe 3 or 4 plugs that were planted last Friday have green leaves on them. So, a very good sign so far!

I’m going to check out the new raspberries that were planted about a month ago from Indiana Berry. Only one of the five plants have sprouted so far, kinda worried about the others. Unlike the Tractor Supply duds I tried, these had awesome roots, so don’t know what’s taking them so long to get going.

4 Likes

The weather is so different there we plant strawberries in February, March, April as soon as the ground is unfroze and we can get the plants. Much of the time when I plant them there are still chunks of ice in the beds. Since you have a little warmer zone I don’t think it will matter much.

1 Like