What is going on today 2017?

Those are really good, enjoy!

2 Likes

Nice…my grafts are growing up really well…maybe next year i’ll have some fruit.

:Puget Gold probably ripe in a few days… Birds will start pecking them.

1 Like

A bird got into my FD net, but I didn’t see any pecking so I let it go

1 Like

Today I got to try a new (to me) peach for the first time: Blaze Prince. It’s one of the Rutger’s Prince series. The tree is a 3 year old and has a surprising large number of fruits. I’m excited about it for several reasons. It has a lot of fruit even though most of my trees lost all the fruit this year from a late freeze. Secondly, I’ve had almost all my existing peaches completely wiped out by Brown Rot. Yet this tree is only feet away from others and has not so much as a single spot of Brown Rot. That trait alone makes it a winner to me. It’s also an unusally looking peach in that all of them are completely, solid red all over. Even the flesh is mostly red. But lets get to the important part- the taste. They are absolutely WONDERFUL! Melting flesh, very sweet, juicy, and a little more acidic than most of my peaches. Blaze Prince is a winner in almost every category. I have a few other Prince preaches that haven’t fruited yet, I hope they are all this great! Anyone else grow Blaze Prince? Do you have similar opinions?

8 Likes

Glad your getting some high quality peaches. Just my opinion but if you have a peach tree that can successfully navigate the early weather and taste good you have a winner.

3 Likes

Wow! So Kevin, where did you buy that one?

1 Like

Freedom Tree Farm. Not directly though…they supply our local Kroger stores and that’s where I bought it. The fun part is that they sell them in 1.5 gallon pots and much smaller than most retail store trees, but because of this they sell them for a whopping $9.99 ! :slight_smile: Takes an extra year or so but as I’ve seen you and others say, I almost prefer small trees so I can shape them as they grow.

Here is more info on the Prince Series (I have 5 of the ones listed):

2 Likes

Ok maybe scion is in order. I’m not home, I’ll look around for it when I get back. I harvested my glacier cherries up here on Russell island. Not the best cherries and I only get about 100 of them. Still I take pleasure in growing anything and the reward of harvest. They were perfect too, with only 2 sprays!!

3 Likes

I was at friends house and look at these beautiful apples Golden delicious and peaches not known . To me they look standard tree about 20 plus feet high and 20 plus feet wide. They are loaded and I picked some ripe peaches and they sure taste very good. I can say he picked lot of peaches in last 10 days and there are still good 300 pcs hanging. I will not like store bought peaches anymore after eating these. My fruit trees are very small first year in ground and hope they produce some day.

15 Likes

That’s the same nursery that grows Scarlett Prince. I bought mine last year from Krogers as well. Mine is growing wonderfully and was loaded with blooms but they were wiped out this spring by frost.

3 Likes

We’ve all said that a 1000 times and I was thinking it again today myself! When its all said and done- all the work and heartache- it the difference between what we pick and what we buy at the store that make it all worth while to me. Nice photos, @Naeem . you have a nice friend to share those with you!

@speedster1 you are right! I’ve bought scarlett, Ruby, August, Blaze, and Flame Price from Freedom Tree Farm at Kroger the last 3 years, but this is the first one I’ve got fruit from. I hope they are all this good!

4 Likes

Went to net my last apricot tree today, but the net is just too small to fit over it properly

I"ll have to rely on the stovepipe

1 Like

Hey Cityman, I understand you being from the Volunteer State that you are reluctant to give a Ga. Bulldog professor his due, but the Prince series we’re developed by Mr.Okie of UGA.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on that one city man. I like the southern-bred varieties because they tend to have really good disease resistance. That plus great flavor sounds like a winner!

2 Likes

No squirrels? That would never happen for me.

3 Likes

I spent two hours over there and no squirrel, no bite on the peaches or apples.
I will ask my friend about squirrels.

2 Likes

No No, Chris! Trust me, us SEC folks and Southerners have to stick together. haha. I’d much rather credit Georgia than New Jersey! I have read about the price series several times and most often the articles talk about the New Jersey testing and Rutgers. But when I went back and read the article that I myself posted above, it does say they were developed in Georgia and TESTED in NJ. So to you and everyone else here, I apologize for the misinformation and I stand corrected.

It sounds like quite a few people may not be familiar with the Prince Series at all, so I’m especially glad I posted. As @scottfsmith said, it stands to reason that peaches developed on the east cost and/or the south would be better for our area than those developed elsewhere, like CA.

The important this is that these really are great tasting peaches. I had another one after my post and it confirms that they really are more acidic than many peaches, and just have a BOLD flavor in general- perhaps because of the acid. You know how some peaches can be sweet and good but just not really GRAB your attention because they are slightly bland (even if they are pretty good, they can be bland/average). These Prince Blaze are not for the meek! They stand up and make an impact! Their solid red color and mostly red flesh add to their attention getting profile. And again, the fact that they didn’t get Brown Spot and produced in a year that almost all my other peaches were frozen all make this a peach worth growing for everyone on the east coast IMHO.

1 Like

Let’s see how well this works!

17 Likes

Bella Gold. A whole 2 of them. Squirrel bait for sure! They remind me of a red apricot (looks). I hope they taste good== if i get them to ripen before 4 legged creatures nab them.

F16s were doing touch and go? landings at the local airport …looks armed to me. Fun to watch.

8 Likes

I live near an Air Force base, once while on the freeway, going 70mph, one went along the freeway about 300 feet up doing about 450mph, wow! Scared the crap out of me! It came from behind me in the same direction. Impressive machines, amazing machines!
He was advertising for the air show!

2 Likes