What's happening today 2016?

Those look real good fruitnut.Another thing to stop the ants is to put a little Tanglefoot on the table legs. Brady

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. But I’ll let you take it off…!!

1 Like

The electrician was here today and said the bill(stupid tax) would be over a grand.:anguished: one of my trees from the Stark sale gave up the ghost, but the worst thing possible, I quit looking for my 35+ year old Felco’s and gave them up as lost. Dang…

2 Likes

Stark will replace the tree at a better of year. I doubt if they will do the same for your beloved Felcos, though.

1 Like

I rigged one of those motion detecting sprinklers up in my plum tree…aimed at where the majority of fruit is hanging… i know a robin will set it off…maybe it’ll save them.

I put on the net, anticipating to get some ripe grapes… unless the birds deny my rights to some sweet grapes! :grin:

Some blushing signs…

8 Likes

I found them today!!!
GOOD DAY!:heart_eyes:

10 Likes

I hope you go another 35+ years before you lose them again. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tom those are really coming along. I have my first small crop of ‘Hope’ that has cluster a little smaller. Since we have had no rain they are taking their time to ‘size up’. But I bet they will be sweet!

MrsG,

Last year, it produced 3 bundles and the birds left me with 3 berries. And it wasn’t even sweet! This year, I am determined to keep these berries for myself. I hope it’s going to be some “sweet” revenge!

Tom

1 Like

That’s about it for me this year with mine. Next year I’ll net them!

Well, today was my last major peach harvest for the year. This is the third harvest I’ve had of almost exactly the same amount this year (my first year to get substantial fruit). I got about this many on Fathers Day, again in mid July, and these yesterday. So my 3 main harvests have been almost exactly 1 month apart. I owe this perfect spacing to @Olpea and others on here who told me the importance of selecting trees with different ripening dates to they are spread out. I am sooooo grateful for that advice. It’s resulted in me having a manageable amount of fruit at each harvest, and allowed me to enjoy fresh fruit every few weeks. I have a 4th harvest period in the pipeline that are 2 years old now and have a few small, very unripe peaches on them now. Those are Indian Free and Fair Time. Looks like those may be ready about a month from now, meaning in the future I’ll have 4 harvests over the course of a year. That is awesome!

BTW…I find it interesting that even though I have about 18 different peach varieties which are supposed to ripen almost weekly, they all seem to ripen at one of the aforementioned harvest dates. But that’s fine. THanks again for everyone’s help. And to any newbies who see this photo and wish they had similar harvest, just know that when I started just 4.5 years ago I knew less about growing fruit than anyone else on earth. I’ve overcome lots of bad luck and ignorance and ended up with a nice little orchard that has produced quite a bit of fruit this year. If I can do it…ANYONE CAN!!! And its sooooooooooo fun!

btw…this looks a lot like the photo I posted from my father’s day harvest, but I promise it isn’t the same peaches!

P.S. No comments about the ugly bacterial spot!!! These had the worst case of it, and I’m going to do everything I can to prevent it next year.

7 Likes

Very cool Cityman! Quite a haul you have there! Thankfully the bac. spot won’t affect the taste. Btw, I may have missed it, but what varieties are in the pic?

Wowser! I’m thinking peach cobbler!

1 Like

City,

Keep us updated on how you like the taste of Fairtime.

I’ve been eyeballing that California-centric variety for a while now and I’m curious as it how it performs under humid conditions.

Good question. How do you get dry climate varieties to thrive in the eastern rain forests. :confused:

lots of sprays, lots of luck and a little bit of chutzpah

1 Like

Not all Zaiger creations are the same. I have PF Lucky 13 peach, bred in Michigan, but it failed to set any fruit in the late freeze. Arctic Glo a Zaiger creation is stock full of fruit! It’s much better than lucky 13 too! So is my Spicy Necta-plum. So this year the California trees way out performed the Michigan tree. I don’t think we will know till we try. I need an early peach myself. Although room is an issue, and my grafting sucks. So I doubt I will add any anytime soon.

1 Like

Hmmmm. My issue is not ‘where’ the variety comes from as much as it is the amount of rain it tolerates. In coastal VA, we are hot like CA and many other places (save AZ and maybe parts of TX), but we are wet like Brazil…well, maybe not that bad. I think I remember your mentioning watering your plants. I don’t have to do that. I just stuck a moisture meter in a potted Meyer Lemon (3 gallon) and it pegged the wet side. The only plants I need to water are those inside and shelterd by a porch overhang.

So I planted some almonds and cherries (gonna be a challenge, but I wanna know how to do this). I think I can handle the brown rot on the fruit but the soil leaching minerals and being often wet presents unknowns.

My Red Raspberry nectarines looked fantastic with all the rain/humidity we’ve had (but the squirrels stole them)…now most of my other peaches look horrible …the Tri Lite peach plum looks great though… I don’t spray anything for spot.