What's happening today 2016?

Can you make pawpaw bread with the overripe ones, like bananas?

1 Like

This is the thread that will not die! :muscle:

Banner year here for ‘Crimson Seedless’, no bird or rodent pressure, and it seemed to thrive on my neglect:

10 Likes

Those grapes are obscene.

Mr. Clint resides in fruit heaven.

2 Likes

Lookin’ good!

My grapes were ready back in late July. The vines all produced prolifically this year. I picked a large bowlful one day, and left the rest hanging. Three days later, I went out to gather more. They had all vanished! There wasn’t a grape to be seen. Only the stalks remained, hanging like skeletons, stripped of every morsel of fruit.

I’ve never had that happen before. Looks like there is now one more fruit I’ll have to protect from predators next year.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the comments on paw paw. It sounds like they are best grown by yourself, even more so than stone fruits.

I now have 95 mousetraps set. Have caught at least 13 mice or voles so far. Ready for round two.
The way to tell when grapes are ripe is when they all disappear.
Protecting fruit and garden produce from the bugs and critters is the most difficult part of gardening for me. Weeds just sit there and let you pull them. Watering isn’t usually a major issue here, except in the occasional dry year. Harvest is the fun part, if anything makes it that far. But everything needs a wire fortress around it if you hope for a taste.

3 Likes

What are you targeting, mice or voles?

ltilton, I am targeting whatever critters wander up to my fruit trees and bushes.

Every year I give a tip o’ the cap to @fruitnut for his ‘Crimson Seedless’ recommendation (however many years ago that was?). They just get better and more prolific each year. The timing is spot on for my harvest schedule. :thumbsup: :grapes:

‘Angel Red’ pom:

8 Likes

I just went out and took a walk around the yard to inspect the troops. Joy bush cherry didn’t have any flowers on it this spring. It has flowers on it now with some tiny immature cherries on it. It will be interesting to see what happens. Btw Joy bush cherry is self fertile.

I got a refractometer yesterday in the mail from amazon.

I ate a Liberty apple that I picked off of my tree. It measured out at 13 Brix, which was better than the Honeycrisp (12 brix) from the store that my wife was putting into a fruit salad. So I’m happy with that.

3 Likes

Today, a friend and I set posts in concrete for my dwarf apple hedge. This will eventually become a post-and-wire trellis system. We also savaged the remaining Tree-of-Heaven on my property.

I infused some vodka today. I was told to use the lower shelve stuff by the boss (my wife). I only make tea out of Magnolia vine berries, and have a bunch, so infused some vodka. The berries are tough, so I’ll let it infuse a couple weeks.

2 Likes

That’s interesting Drew.Do the berries get crushed at all before adding them?Brady

Since these are so hard, I thought of doing it. I do not with raspberries, or strawberries. I didn’t here either. I said I did this today, but I actually did it Friday, so let’s look at the bottle…

Looks like the color is leeching fine, I need to taste it. I will give it a couple more days and try it. If weak on flavor, I will crush the berries somehow? I will filter out the berries, and any particulate matter when done. Amazing but every one I did stays in solution, no settling ever!

Am I seeing this right? Are these flowers starting on my blueberries? In September, in Nebraska. …

It wouldn’t focus any closer.

Went to the Applejack Festival in Nebraska City Saturday . I picked up a peck of Jonathan and a peck of Macintosh. My boys keep eating the Jonathans. We like a little tartness here.

1 Like

We liked the Jonathan’s so much from our first trip to the orchard, we picked up another batch the second time we went. My wife likes em crisp and tart, I like them to have a balance with some sweetness.

I think we’ve just about finished those off, but we so many more other apples to eat from our second trip. So far, we’ve eaten more Gold Russet’s than of the others, but we’re just waiting for those to ripen a bit more.

1 Like

All that’s left ripening are a few Blueberries,some stray Strawberries and these Jimmy Nardello Peppers.
They were over wintered indoors and have produced a fair crop this year. Brady

1 Like