What's happening today 2016?

I was having similar problems,not being able to make matching cuts.Then someone read about using a carpet cutting tool on the Dave Wilson forum.So,I found these at Lowes Hardware for very cheap.I think they call them multi-cutters.My success rate went way up.The brand is Kobalt and came with 3 and 4 inch sizes.It’s an anvil type with replaceable blades.I like the 4 inch because it exposes more surface area. Brady

3 Likes

Yes I saw a similar tool at Ronan Tools that I was wondering about. Says you get 3 free replacement blades. I could see a tool like this getting beat up eaily under heavy use as a true pruner but if it was reserved only for making straight splice cots on scionwood it should last a long time.

The box knife works well for me. I use it for W&T, T-budding, chip budding, and cleft grafts. I don’t think would switch to anything else. When your blade gets dull just toss it away and get a new one. Larger cleft grafts might be more difficult with it but everything else is great. Don’t give up on you w&t grafts, once you get the hang of it you will like it. Bill

2 Likes

Bill, when you make a w&t do you cut the tongue or is it just a split about in the center of the scion and rootstock? I have watched videos but it’s not always clear.

1 Like

That looks incredible. I’ve always lived in the city and don’t ever really see these types of landscapes in person. What is the big clearing? Lake? Field? Farmland?

1 Like

Scott are you ready for the bad weather heading your way this coming weekend.

“Meteorologists predict the storm will focus most of its power on Washington, D.C., which could see around 2 feet of snow and dangerous blizzard conditions from Friday through Sunday. NBC meteorologist Bill Karins said the impact of the storm could be “historic” for the nation’s capital, Baltimore, Maryland, and Charlotte, North Carolina.”

Tony

This is an example of w&t that I added some text information to. You don’t have to be exact with the tongue cuts but to total length needs to be pretty close. I just make my tongue cuts about .25" from the center. It helps if both section are about the same diameter (pencil diameter is good to start off with). If you need more details just let me know. Bill

4 Likes

Thanks , looks really nice, mine always come out real bulky at the joint and not matching up very well on the cuts. I probably need to get some sticks and set down at my work bench and do a dozen. I practiced a little last winter but did not have much application for a w&t last spring. This year a w&t may be the best type of graft for some of my rootstocks.

1 Like

So pretty! I love snow from afar. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is the regional airport .

Tres Yooper!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with a cleft graft though. I got to were I prefered that to whip tongue. I was having just as much luck with it. Just me though.

2 Likes

Blah! I can’t wait until spring. Two more months to go here…

1 Like

Just saw about thirty wild turkeys running through a graveyard on my bus ride into work.

1 Like

You love snow. You want more. Winter is just beginning :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We had around 2 inches of snow overnight…too much for me.

Caught another rabbit. They are slowly starting to chew on bigger trees. I need to shut this down. I have at least one left out there. I might have to raise wolves or owls

1 Like

Something buzz-sawed my mountain figs at ground level. Rabbits? Other varmints? I am very sad about this. My Hardy Chicago and Celestial Celeste are ruined again. I just hope the roots survive and they rise like the phoenix next season.

We finally got newspaper delivery again today… four papers came at once, and the headlines make a nice synopsis:

10 Likes

Oooow…watch out for black cats and broken mirrors, you may be on the way to back luck. well maybe Matt got it in Maryland!!

Figs typically aren’t effected by pests like other trees but when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground animals will get desperate. Maybe their mouths will go numb and they’ll break out in rash and think twice about touching figs again. lol

Yeah. I hope whatever sheared off my figs got a nice mouthful of caustic fig latex sap.

1 Like