What's happening today 2016?

Indeed they can

There’s one in the local wildlife rescue place, and I’ve seen it scaling the fence of its enclosure - the keepers say they’re giving it places to climb to, as long as it wants to

That is a big squirrel.

I saw some people at the park walking a gerbil…well the wife said it was a dog, but it sure didn’t look big enough to be one.

3 Likes

Is that a groundhog?

Yes!

All small wild animals have the right to become fertilizer!

1 Like

Gotta gun?

Your choice of calibers.:innocent:

2 Likes

My kinda guy!

1 Like

My grocery store had Robada apricots (they were in the box still so i found the label). For store bought, they were excellent.

Muddy, I think you did a geat job using words to paint the picture!
I can’t help but smile when I read “… …or think of me as being young and lithe in that full moonlit night. :slight_smile:”. Don’t we all wish we are young and lithe…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This was from the other day (it would have looked the same tonite), but i forgot to share it. Was a beautiful evening for a walk at Riverside park here in town (we love this park///lots of green space, the river, good atmosphere). That is the might Mississippi River (its not that mighty)…the riverboat just takes a short cruise up and down stream. Cruise ships don’t make it this far upstream :slight_smile: Lots of barges though (going to and from Minneapolis).

2 Likes

ROFLMAO, (an acronym from the early days). Your comment seems to have escaped the rest here, very funny! Well at least she heard you! At times I could tell my wife I’m going to rip the front grass out and put in an army of garden gnomes , and she would say “sounds good”, as she has no idea what I just said. How I got a couple trees in the front yard! “You said it was ok!”

2 Likes

Some of us noticed and got a kick out of it. We gave him a bunch of Likes on that post. :grin:

1 Like

The first time I saw it I felt the same way. I guess considering it’s length and historic significance, it is a mighty river. The river I live by The St. Clair River is a very mighty river, yet not well known, but has it’s share of ships wreaks from multiple wars.

The south channel, one of three channels to the river.

[quote=“MuddyMess_8a, post:1677, topic:3762”]
We gave him a bunch of Likes on that post.[/quote]

Yes! That escaped me!

It’s that time of year again on the river! Swimming with the freighters!

This is our private beach

2009 was a red letter year. I spent over 2 months straight on the river, as my wife recovered. My wife broke both of her arms, and I had to do everything, yes even that! Best time ever for me, so relaxing and tranquil.

3 Likes

I’ve done the same thing. It worked for me but only for a week or two.

That looks a lot cleaner then this muddy water! Water clarity is inches in the Mississippi. How deep is that river? Around here the Mississippi rarely gets much over 20ft deep. The main channel for the barges i think needs to stay at 10 to 12ft deep. The current is pretty strong right now because of all the rain. Water temp is probably mid 70Fs… There are also wing dams all up and down the river (rock reefs that shoot out towards the main channel that keep the channel deeper==fish hold on them)…the buoys mark the wing dams so its pretty easy to navigate. We have a lot of backwaters that are easy to get lost in. I’ve noticed a lot more paddle boards/kayaks out on the river the past few years.

You can see a barge going upstream in this pic.

1 Like

That’s a good photo! Nice and serene! The St. Clair River is about 35 feet deep in the center. One spot in the north channel is 90 feet. The sturgeons hang out there. Current water temp is about 66F. 4 knot current steady except when the freighter’s go by. The water surges, like when you enter a bathtub the levels rise, same with the freighters. They displace a large volume of water. It’s hard to tell how big the freighters are, this should help. Find Waldo! (three Waldos in this photo). See that window in the engine room? When playing freighter golf, a ball in there is a hole in one!

Here’s the same ship.

In 2001 the tall ships came from across the world to celebrate Detroit’s 300th birthday…

4 Likes

myneighbor next door has large mulberry tree. Very sweet and juicy,on small size,like a mulberry I remembered.every year, when the mulberry ripe I will pick their mulberries. This is what I picked this year. I made mulberry wine.

9 Likes

Very nice. I love the big sailboats. Lake Onalaska (about 5 minutes from here) is the pool behind the lock and dam here and there is a sailboat club and you can find sailboats out on the lake…but they are much smaller. If one wanted, i’m sure you could easily make your way to the Gulf of Mexico, it just might take some time. I know one summer some dude was water skiing to the GOM and i think some guy swam the length of the river (ugh)… We have 3 rivers here that meet at the park in my pics. The Mississippi, the Black River (starts in central Wisconsin…named because the water is stained) and the La Crosse river (starts about 40 miles east of here). So yeah…no shortage of water in this area. We also have trout streams and several small rivers that hold trout (mostly browns/rainbows with the smaller streams hold brookies). I use to trout fish, but its a lot of driving and access is pretty restricted sent they changed a few laws (you basically have to stay in the water now).

The freighter golf sounds like a lot of fun. Do they ever shoot back?? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: What is the range of a flare gun :slight_smile:

I shared this last year, but this is L Onalaska (which is just the Mississippi River pool behind the dam/spillways–2 of them).

This area is often referred to as “Gods Country” because of the bluffs…

1 Like

Trust me the mighty Mississippi picks up quite a bit of steam as she heads south. I’m from Baton Rouge a day it’s a monstrous force of nature down there!