What's happening today 2016?

Wow. They sound fantastic.

Thanks. I don’t really care to bother growing anything that isn’t good for fresh eating. I’d probably just grow blackberries or raspberries.

I tried them based on Scott’s review, as usual he knows what is good.

Here is a photo of my Newberries.Another grower mentioned a Raspberry flavor.I can’t taste too much of that.More like a fruity Blackberry. Brady

5 Likes

Doors and windows are open. The kitchen air conditioner is off.

I have a light show with constant rolling thunder. I’m wishing it would drop some actual rain on my parched land, beyond the mere sprinkle this is providing. Mixed as it is with the welcome scent and hope of rain, the steadily changing sky of dancing lights, is almost rhythmically accompanied by a continuing bass of rumbles, creating an oddly peaceful atmosphere, interrupted by jarring rifle shots and simultaneous brilliance of lightning too near. Such is a summer’s night pop up storm.

1 Like

Do you know what the difference between currants and gooseberries is? I found some what I assume are gooseberries out foraging for black raspberries yesterday. They were thorny. They seemed edible, sweet and nicely flavored. I ate a couple and decided that I shouldn’t push it with a wild plant. :dizzy_face:

Since I have been complaining about my problems, I thought I should post a little show of my success. Believe it or not, 90% of these peaches were from a single tree- albeit a large one.

AS you can see, I got a LOT of peaches. They are loaded in my car for the 2.5 hour drive to my parents. They were thrilled to death and blown away and my mom had as much fun giving them to several of her friends as she did cutting them up and freezing them and making preserves, cobbler, and more. Dad ate so many fresh ones that he literally got a little sick! (ie bathroom bound). But they just couldn’t believe it. All the homegrown peaches they’ve ever seen were wormy and knotty and spotted and just awful. They didn’t know it was possible to grow good peaches in this area.
You know, I think no matter how old you get, you still like to make your mom and dad proud as well as give them things they enjoy. I got to do both.

Just one thing, though. Before I pat myself on the back too much, I don’t know if you can tell from the photo, but most of these were pretty small. That is 100% the result of my reluctance to properly prune the one tree. But they were nice looking, good tasting peaches. The big tree that most came from is another of my growing number of unknown tree varieties. Oh well. They were very early, very good, and as you can see- very plentiful!

By the way, the biggest peach harvest I ever had in my life before this was about 1 shoe box full. That was 2 years ago, and of course last year there were none (spray killed them) and this year you can see that my harvest increased about 10 fold in 2 years! I love growing fruit! See…there is good and bad and the good is worth the bad!

12 Likes

Way to write

1 Like

Call them cow peaches.:wink:[quote=“thecityman, post:1751, topic:3762”]
mom and dad proud as well as give them things they enjoy. I got to do both.
[/quote]

I hope your dad had reading material, I feel his pain

Thanks, friend. I’m glad you enjoyed it. We frequently get teased with storms bringing the promise of rain, then dropping it just beyond where we are.

Still, it’s one week until July 4th, and we almost always get a rain right before the holiday. I’m even more thankful for those than other summer rains, because this is an area where everyone sets off major fireworks. Some good rains as the weekend approaches will help lessen the fire dangers.

Long sleeve weather up here! I wouldn’t doubt a few areas in the cold spots drop to the low 40Fs. Up here its strange. The 4th of July (since its usually one day of the year i can actually remember) is so sweltering hot you can hardly breath or chilly enough that you need a long sleeve or a jacket. I can remember one year going to “Catfish Days” just north of here (July 10th ish) and we were freezing…best to consume alcohol to stay warm.

This is about the best you can ask for this time of year

Seems like after the 4th we normally start to turn drier and heat up until mid Sept…who knows how this year goes.

1 Like

That looks like a really pleasant forecast, Rob.

My thought when I read your first line about dropping down to the low 40’s in the cold spots, was how inconvenient it would be to be scurrying to protect my most cold sensitive plants even in July. :smile: Some of my stuff gets damaged when it’s under 50⁰. Then I remembered that I couldn’t handle your winters. So, I don’t have to worry about that.

Still, your forecast looks absolutely delightful compared to many places this week.

I built a frame out of PVC to support bird netting around an Asian Pear tree.The past two years,Crows,Squirrels or something tear the fruit off when they get to a certain stage.
I may use this setup next Spring with poly plastic,over a Nectarine to protect against rain,so there won’t be any Peach Leaf Curl. Brady

6 Likes

They are closely related, and yes it sounds like you found a gooseberry. Wild ones are all over the country, they do have thorns. It sounds exactly like a gooseberry. They are more edible fresh too.

Trust me. You’d love a day when the high temperature doesn’t hit 0F. Those are the fun ones.

Really the worst part of winter is the days and days of clouds. The really cold ones are usually bright sunshine (high pressure). We had a stretch of 20+ days of clouds in December…not fun.

I’ve seen exactly 3 Japanese beetles so far.

We only dropped to 55F overnight. I think there were a few more clouds then what was predicted. Cold spot so far looks to be International Falls, MN with 41F. Land O Lakes, WI was in the mid 40Fs too (usually the coldest spot in Wisconsin in the summer). Leadville, CO was 31F yesterday (which is what happens when your elevation is 10K feet)…their growing season must be days.

Drew-

What are your thoughts on Gooseberry? I have one, but no fruit yet. It got fried last summer and had to grow back from the roots. I have never tried them…I hope they don’t need cross pollination.

Here are 2 of 6 of my Sweet August Sensation Plums

Here is a pic of my Burbank plums Here is a picture of a large Halehaven Peach that was really good: riching tasting and juicy. It was well worth waiting for.
Yes, this is the fun part of growing things, the harvest! More to come…

6 Likes

They are new to me too. I finally obtained a few cultivars. So no opinion yet.

Low of 42 for us tonight

1 Like

Nice…i’m loving this. It was right around 70F this afternoon, mostly cloudy and with a good wind…i was chilly. Took a couple hour bike ride… I like the heat in April/May but by July, bring on the clouds and north winds. Even a cold July day is a warm April day.

1 Like