What's happening today - 2018 edition

Black knot season. Cut it out of the susceptible Methley. Sprayed copper.

Now that’s hard core - watching your seeds sprout while driving long distance. My kinda gardener.

6 Likes

Well, it’s about to turn dark here, but I finally got my four U-Ark blackberries in the ground. I tilled some ground up yesterday, and added some more garden soil and dark barn dirt and tilled that in as well. The soil was pretty clumpy, so I wasn’t too pleased with that, but I did the best I could.

The Ouachita had some monster roots on it, the Osage had a decent amount. The PrimeArk Freedom and Traveler had very good roots as well. I was a bit concerned that three of the plants had some white buds on the cane down low, so hopefully they’ll shoot out some new sprouts. I kept them in a cold, dark cellar for two weeks, but they sprouted anyways. We’ll see how they turn out.

When they sprout, I’ll put up a trellis for them. None of the raspberries I planted last week have sprouted yet, but it’s still early.

OK, gonna take a break and get started on my veggie starts.

1 Like

Oh. I didn’t put in the post that I moved them to a temporary location while we are building a new house. I am lucky to have the chance to do that.

Yeah the roots on those were very nice. I had a big piece of root I broke off during digging, but lost it. I was going to pot it up and see if it would grow a new plant.

1 Like

New mulch day… my orchard is beginning to look like it has trees in it. The new part still looks pretty bare but trees are beginning to put on foliage.

Katy

31 Likes

Very nice Katy! When your trees get bigger it will awesome pulling into your driveway. Your orchard looks like it will be easier to take care of with all that room. Your trees are nicely spaced. Looking forward to more pictures as your orchard ages. I see some future treats to come for the horses. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

An orchard avenue!

1 Like

Makes it feel like spring. How do you keep the rodents and deer from destroying it, though?

1 Like

Looks like electric fence on one side…I can’t tell on the other. Am I right on the one side K8?

1 Like

I haven’t had a lot of trouble yet but then I have a pack of dogs, a couple of which seem to guard the place and a few cats that hunt voraciously. Beyond the copse on the left I put a couple of wild mulberries and one of them seem to have been deer nibbled but the other was untouched. I think that because we don’t have the snow cover the bunnies, etc don’t tend to nibble like they do in the north. There seems to be more food available for them. I’m not sure why I don’t have more deer/rodent problem but then they may find it at anytime and come to dinner more often. Actually in this area we have more damage done by wild hogs and I’m really hoping they stay away.

Yes, there is electric fence on west side. Barbed wire on the east. We just got through moving that electric fence over about 25-30 feet to the original lot line so that we could have more orchard area. Now I have to be careful what I plant there because of the electrical line. We belong to a co-op and they are very strict about keeping trees out of the line and maintaining access so I really didn’t get as much space as I thought we would get but I really think I can “make do” with the space we have!!! :joy::joy::joy:.

I think this is the first year that it’s beginning to take on that look. The trees on the west side are still babies so I think it will look even better.

Thanks for the compliments!

Katy

2 Likes

Looks very nice, good job.

Just curious, but are all those Jujube trees? If so, you must put a sign up and call it…
Wait for it…
Koolaid Lane!

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha.

I guess it would have to be Koolaid Punch Lane because it’s not a pure drink but a mix…but there are more Jujus there than any other variety.

1 Like

Well, after breaking my bush-hog, I was able to get four plots plowed. It took me a while to remember how to do it, since it’s only done once a year. I actually had to come back up to the house and do a little refresher course on it first!

Anyways, got it done before dark. Looks pretty good, I guess. I love sinking that ole double bottom Dearborn into the turf and slicing up and turning over great swaths of earth. Smelling that freshly plowed ground- one of life’s nice little pleasures.

Anyways, some pics of my ground mutilation and sundry others:

A familiar acquaintance enjoying the deep, cool furrow…

And then he decided to jump up on the clothes line pole to get a better look at things

The new blackberry run, not much to see actually, just four new UofA plants. Hope to get some tasty berries off the primocanes later this summer.

Some new gooseberry blooms!

And some Milam apple blossoms

21 Likes

Beautiful farm, Bob! :heart:

1 Like

Nice cat

1 Like

Thanks, it is nice here, but I’m wore out after this weekend. We got a few days of nice and dry weather, so I thought I’d better take advantage of it, before the rain comes back tomorrow. Hope it doesn’t make that freshly turned sod into mud piles. After Tuesday, it’s supposed to dry off, so I’d like to get it disked soon after that.

One good thing about the warm weather is that we get to dry clothes outside on the clothesline. Saves money by not using the dryer…

Thanks, he’s quite a character. He follows me around a lot, which is odd for a cat. He’s a little more than a year old, we got him as a kitten from some neighbors. A very good hunter, which is why we got him. He has caught all kinds of varmits, and usually eats what he catches.

Cool April but no freezes. All my trees are loaded so far. Looks like I will have bless year with the fruit.

Satuma needs thinning - Mariposa, Santa Rosa, AU homesite, Shiro, and Au Rubum all just as loaded.

Blueberries

Floridaking peach

PrimeArk blackberries

26 Likes

I love it. So neat and tidy.

1 Like

Looks like the Cats Meow to me!! Very NICE!

2 Likes