What's happening today - 2018 edition

I was thinking that it might be stress from bending that causes it to bloom early. The effects of LST are different.

18 Likes

Well that looks like an improvement already! You better leave that tape on.

Wow, what a day. Decided I should water all the berry plants this morning, it’s actually been quite dry and warm over the last few days. I gets quite humid at night here, but figured they could use a drink.

Later, about 4, started on disking our 4 garden plots. That wasn’t too bad, because you mostly sit, but being on a tractor you have to be careful. Its nice to see those big chunks of sod ground up.

After that I mowed the old orchard by the old house and around our house on the hill. Got done right at dark.

Hope to till the tater patch tomorrow, and maybe get some seed potatoes in the ground soon.

5 Likes

Lol, I did that once with a Luna moth caterpillar. I put it in a jar with mesh on it. My wife said that is not going to work, she was right. It escaped, eventually it pupated one day while I was at work and I let it go that night

2 Likes

This morning I spotted a male Blackcapped Chickadee call to the female sitting in the nesting box. She few out to my Cherry tree where he fed her a moth that he had caught. For a few weeks I though she had lost her mate. I took this picture after she came back from the bird feeder next door. She’s never away from the nest more than 5 minutes and perches on the grape vines before she enters the nest. I can tell them apart because she has a speckled chest and he is creamy smooth.

I’m impressed with the blooms on these Queen of Night Tulips. They’re a beautiful dark silky purple red, even the pollen is dark purple. I’ll be getting more of these this fall!

Last are some of my peppers, from bottom left to top right: 7 Pot BBG large, Scotch Brain, 7 Pot Yellow, Khang Starr Texas Crimson Bonnnet, Bahamian Goat, and what I think is Aji Lemon Drop x Burning Bush Habanero???,

6 Likes

Nice pics. Curious as to what soil mix you use for containers. We’ve never been able to get our veggies to do very well in pots. Garden, yes, pots, eh, not so much.

2 Likes

For these buckets I try to make the soil mix quite fluffy and light since I want the roots to come out into the bottom container. I used a 1:3 compost and sand mix as a base and added some peat moss for drainage, aeration, and moisture retention. I did a similar mix last year and grew some decent size pepper plants. This seasons plants are likely going to reach an even greater size since they’re about 6-8 months old already.

The real secret to these containers is the water reservoir below the soil containing bucket. It provides the plant with all the water they can need on a hot summers day so they don’t wilt. My peppers and tomatoes grew huge hydroponic root systems in the bottom which made for plants that were loaded with pods.

Google Photos

5 Likes

Started pruning peach trees yesterday in Santa Ana type winds…got up to around 88 yesterday. The trees are just loaded with buds! Here are a couple of trash cans full of cuttings…

6 Likes

I was out walking around northeast Philly yesterday and noticed every fig tree planted in the yards was dead. A lot of these trees were 10 feet tall and had survived multiple winters but I guess this past winter was too much. Sad.

2 Likes

It always pains me to cut away blooming wood

1 Like

Some may grow back if the roots survived. Brady

I drove through Arkansas, white flowered bushes along both sides of highway, filled the air with fresh spring aroma. Few days ago I passed by Kansas, Missouri , on the hills,different shades of new greens dotted by American red bud like something on oil painting, very beautiful this time of the year!

6 Likes

Not impressed with Flavor Supreme…maybe it’s the location. I can see a ton of flower clusters but everything seems dead. Almost everything else has flowers…hmmm…

After the brief unseasonable heat spell when the cots all bloomed, I now find them well into petal fall. I hope the bees worked fast while they were open.

I ate my first fresh home-grown fruit of the year.

Illinois Ever Bearing Mulberry

My persimmons are loaded this year

Rosseyanka, the whole tree looks like this up close.

19 Likes

Yayyyyy

2 Likes

humming birds going crazy pollinating cherry trees. Pretty cool, must be partially due to later spring, I’ve never seen it like this before, sword fights and squeaks galore!

8 Likes

Jim, don’t give up on them. You always here of fig trees that die back to the ground sprouting new growth. Some varieties will even produce fruit that year. Fingers crossed for you!

1 Like

They are not my trees. I work in Northeast Philly and go for a walk at my lunch break. Many people in the row homes of Philly grow figs in their front yards. These have all died back. Hopefully they do start sprouting again.

My figs were safely tucked away in my unheated garage and are doing well so far.