Who's growing the Xinjiang Fragrant Pear?

Here is my 2 year old “Fragrant pear” (from the asian market in Ottawa) seedling. I thought it would take off this year, but it’s been extremely dry and hot this summer, so far. I have been watering all my trees (and I never had to do that in the past 5 years) ! So it’s growing slowly. After reading @scottfsmith and @Roundhead’s experience, I’m afraid my season will be too short to ripen the fruits. We’ll see in 10 years… Lol! (But I’ll graft a branch on my Shinseiki and might see the results much sooner…)

7 Likes

Finally got the fragrant pear :pear: that is the same as the Asian market after 10 years of trial and error. Very light texture, crunchy, agreeable Sweetness. I am good now.

7 Likes

Hi Luis.
I see you have the Xinjiang Fragrant pear variety .
And I see you bought it from a Dutch nursery.
Tell me if it is in this nursery:

Vreeken’s Zaden

https://www.vreeken.nl/822825-peer-xinjiang

Or if you have bought them at a better price.
How you are Portuguese , If you have any cuttings available for next winter send me a private message and we do a nice exchange (I have very good hybrid nashis).

Regards
Jose

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5

Which one is it?

Yulu Fragrant pear :pear:

1 Like

Hello everyone after 4 years had passed. I would like to update you all on my progress and experience with my creation. This year is loaded so my concern with pollination was not really a concern at all. I believe the tree being a seedling was too young to hold fruits. It actually took 12 years for the tree to fully mature hence the disappearance of thorns this year. The fruits are very unique being that they form in clusters with very thin stems. They are no longer rock hard and gritty but very firm, crispy, juicy, and fragrant and ready off tree by mid-September. This year’s average fruit size is much smaller due to fruit load from no thinning. But next year I will thin for size improvement. Hope you all enjoy my update.

16 Likes

@Roundhead

Glad to see this worked out for you! Looks like a great pear!

Finally the Fragrant pear similar to the Asian market is in full production. So light, crisp, and Fragrant just like the name.

If I have to compare with other Asian pears then this one is like the Honey Jar of all the jujube.

8 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Those are beautiful pears!

1 Like

I been thinking about putting one in. Maybe YaLi. What makes them different from any other asian? Any recommendations?

Fragrant pear in the Asian market goes for $2 a fruit. The tree is not on sale at any nursery. I was lucky to swap a stick from someone had a friend in China that sent her a stick a few years back. It is the crispiest Asian pear period. Right next to it is Yali.

3 Likes

Very nice pears.

2 Likes

I finally got some fragrant pears this year, huge round ones like yours Tony, but the critters took all before I could try them. The tree is just starting to bear so I should eventually be able to try them. These ones are larger and more round than the ones in the markets here.

3 Likes

I need scionwood;)

Hi, Tony,
Is it possible to ask for a scion wood of Yulu fragrance pear?
I’m willing to pay for the cost.
Thanks!

Attractive appearance; pyrus x bretschneideri type, do you think?

Hi. Korla fragrant pear and Xinjiang pear are the same variety?
Thanks!

1 Like

should be the same.

XinJiang is the province, Korla is the town in XinJiang province, where the gragrance pear is grown.

Yulu is habrid between Korla and Xuehua pear, developed in recent years. Does anyone know about chill hour requirement for Yulu?

3 Likes

Tony.
You got scions from me. My scion maybe originally from China. But it was sent by one friend in CA.

I just ate very few Yulu fragrant pears. Animals ate most even before ripening.