Wildlife in our gardens

I’d cherish a squirrel-hunting snake!

5 Likes

I do! Unfortunately my being freaked out I just kind of automatically shot it. I think it’s just an Oak snake. We have a lot of cottonmouth here though and I’m always loaded and ready just in case. Seems the squrriel had a bad day and it just morphed into a bad day for the snake…lol

These are not who you want mad at you! These are not the same as the wasps above!

FCBA4BE8-D014-4F47-BA72-B7C3C9CEE9CC

2 Likes

Thankfully these do not do the damage of the 17 year cicada.

4 Likes

As I walked by one of my muscadine vines I notice six quail busy eating the drops. They only appeared to be interested in the ones that had fallen. These moved when I got a couple of yards away but they never took flight. Now I’m wondering if these were pen raised and had been released.

10 Likes

They are slow :relaxed:

1 Like

Okay, I am looking at the world differently after almost stepping on this guy.
TimberRattler
Chaps are on the way!

Sorry for the grainy photo, I was not getting any closer.

9 Likes

This was a few weeks back. I startled this guy in the middle of the day—I think he was sleeping. He hopped down and I snapped this shot.

9 Likes

Craaaaaappp!!! That’s too close!!

Katy

1 Like

YIKES!!! I hate the poisonous ones!!

This is the first time I’ve seen a venomous snake in my “orchard” area. There are tons of persimmons falling, which means rodents…

2 Likes

My dog was in a Mexican standoff with this guy. Is this an eastern box turtle?

5 Likes

Bow hunters can help with your deer problem. It’s a matter of public will. Imagine the owners of the big properties like some of the mansions letting some hunters in on a few select days? I can imagine the resistance to something like that would be brutal.

absolutely 100% an Eastern Box Turtle. This is one animal that in my area and my own personal experience has seen the biggest decline in population of any other animal. When I was growing up, I had countless numbers of these as pets. Every time a turtle was seen in the road, it was either a snapping turtle or an Eastern Box Turtle. Always one or the other. My dad would always stop and let me help them across, or in many cases even take them home (something we should not have done I know now). Then about the time I turned 15, I saw my first “painted turtle” Then over the years I started seeing more and more. Today, 30 years after my first sighting, if you see a turtle crossing the road here it is either a painted or snapping. I haven’t seen an eastern Box more than once a year. 30 years is the blink of an eye for nature to experience such a big change, but this one I’ve seen myself. And its sad. Fortunately other parts of the country have faired better…hopefully Georgia is one because I love those little guys! THanks for posting.

3 Likes

Yes it would. They wouldn’t let me have a second Concours!

I’ve only seen a handful of these guys and painted in my life but the snappers up till’ very recently , had never saw one. now they’re very common here.

Same here in my Long Island neighborhood. I use to see them every year in my yard but haven’t in the last few years. Probably because of loss of habitat and and too many cats. Too many neighbors replacing trees and shrubs with bare lawn maintained with weed and bug killers. We use to have quail also but haven’t seen them in many years.

1 Like

We were visiting family today and I watched many monarchs fly over headed south, this one stopped for a sip of nectar before continuing on its way

10 Likes

I finally got a picture today. 11-years here and this is the first Red-breasted Nuthatch.

I’ve been tracking this fella from feeder to feeder for 2-days. I’m stoked to have finally got him photographed.

Dax

10 Likes

Nice pic Dax. I was up in your neck of the woods this last weekend. Ever been to Keokuk? Went to Geode Fest and had a ball.

2 Likes