Zenport/Generic Labled Grafting Tool

That’s what my buddy has. So the anvil on yours has a protuberance? You should grind that off just thinking to myself, Austro.

Does yours from Aliexpress have a pink color cast to it? My buddy’s has a pinkish color that’s noticeable in brighter light. Looks the same as yours though.

Dax

Hey, its not a protuberance its actually what the blade cut away when i tried it.

The upper part moves at a slight angle, not straight.

Thats why that happened.

1 Like

You got a defective tool. Did you contact the seller?

Bummer.

Dax

I took some pictures and will try to figure out how to post this evening. Aliexpress, which gives lower prices on phone app than on home computer,has the replacement blades for $4.85 with free shipping. The ones I got were exact replacement to original. I searched under grafting tool blades and scrolled down until they popped up.

2 Likes

Not tested : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Hot-blade-Free-Shipping-vegetable-grafter-tree-grafting-tool-Spare-blade-fruit-engrafter-Fruit-Trees/32799015736.html

The Zenport from Amazon arrived. I could easily remove from the packaging with no damage to anything in case I want to return it. No assembly required. It’s bigger than I imagined but just right for the job.

I made the first cut in nothing flat. Not too much pressure required. Perfect in my opinion.

12 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes

Obviously a beginner here.

3 Likes

Thats a beautiful graft union.
I recall getting a similar tool last year and using it on harder scionwood (apple, pear etc.) and completing destroying the blade.

I assume you are only going to use this on fig wood?

That’s all I have planned right now. And I’m going to make sure the fig wood is well hydrated. That will make it softer and more likely to heal.

For what the thing costs it won’t take many successful grafts to pay off.

2 Likes

It works great for plums (hardwood) whatever. We used it for pecans, oaks, etc.

Thanks @txpanhandle1

Beautiful cuts for sure @fruitnut

@ramv those similar tools are omega grafting tools and they are completely worthless. God’s honest truth.

Best regards,

Dax

3 Likes

This is the Aliexpress Seller

I bought blades just now to go with the tool from banggood. As I was at either the shopping cart or about to pay with paypal I saw the tool show up as a passing clip of other items for sale for 21$. You guys might search Aliexpress for the tool, as-well.

@fruitnut
@Hillbillyhort
@ramv
@Olpea
@nicollas
@northwoodswis4

Dax

1 Like

Dax,. How do you order from them? I can’t even read German.

I just hit buttons that in English would be in the same place! :laughing:

Then I selected paypal for payment because it’s so easy to checkout and, if someone doesn’t send you something you get your money back much more easily.

After I got my cart loaded the shipping instructions (your address) appear in English. Fill that in and then choose your payment type.

Dax

2 Likes

Steven, those cuts look great. Can you post some comparison photos of the $23 vs the pricier one from Amazon once it arrives? I assume these are the same thing

When I get back. I’m out of here for a couple of weeks.

I got one of these $23 jobs late this spring. I’ve only had an opportunity to try it on a few chestnut grafts. None of them took. Not the fault of the tool. None of my chestnut grafts took regardless of technique. Could be compatibility or simply that chestnuts tend to respond to injury by putting up new shoots. I also tried it on a few pear grafts. None of those took either, but then again, the same was true for my other attempts. This too could have been compatibility. One thing I noticed on the pears was that you can get some crushing of the bark on the bottom side. I applied some rubber tape to the bottom side and it seemed to help some.

I’m looking forward to trying it this spring. The fit was very close to perfect from an alignment standpoint.

1 Like

I have a question for the experienced grafters. Which way do you typically face the “V” in reference to the root stock or parent tree? Obviously for top working I can’t cut the V upside down for inserting multiple scions into the top of a large stub, but for similar sized wood the hollow could be cut into the scion or the parent tree. I’ve successfully grafted about 30 grafts in the last 2 years, mostly V’s cut by hand. I bought a tool this year and am going to bench graft about 30 apple trees. (I’ll be looking for scion wood. :blush:) I’m curious for the long term if it matters.

I don’t see why it would matter with the tool. But I’d put the V into rootstock to match a cleft graft. The other way should work the same. A cleft graft could be made the reverse of normal as well, ie split the scion and point the stock…

If there were any difference it would seem to me to be from a strength standpoint not compatibility.

3 Likes